Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 06:36 PM

Any opera fans in here?

My plans for this evening were cancelled as the friends who should have been coming to dinner have both gone with this flu bug that is doing the rounds - so I thought I would treat myself and watch an opera.

"Turandot" - Covent Garden production DVD.

Wow! I am on cloud nine!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 06:47 PM

Re: Any opera fans in here?

ST I like some opera too Puccini was a great composer, enjoy your Turandot.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
ST I like some opera too Puccini was a great composer, enjoy your Turandot.
I'm the same ST
Some I like enough to watch on tv..
But nothing beats being there.
I have seen about 6 operas live in my time
And each one blew me away
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 07:36 PM

I am seeing Turnadot next week! Besides the music, it usually means beautiful settings and costuming.

Thrilled to know it is on DVD, thank you!

I'm looking forward to getting dressed up for the event and a late night dinner afterwards, but I can see the advantages of being in the comfort of your own, cozy home.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 08:30 PM

I've tried, believe me, to watch and enjoy an opera but I can't.
I enjoy classical music and music played in an opera but it's the voices. I can't abide the shrieking perhaps because I cannot decipher the lyrics and therefore know what the story is about.
Sadly not Rhian.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I enjoy classical music and music played in an opera but it's the voices. I can't abide the shrieking perhaps because I cannot decipher the lyrics and therefore know what the story is about.
Sadly not Rhian.

Try this Floydy - the delectable Anna Netrebko flirting with the men in the audience at a Proms event.

Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 09:33 PM

Don't mind if it's not too long.The local Opera Soc did Carmen last month,that was quite good.
I prefer them not in English.I spend all my time trying to hear what they are singing and being opera the story is very silly anyway.Better to get a synopsis of what it's all about and just relax and let the music flow over you.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Sadly not Rhian.
We need an evening of proper culture..
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Try this Floydy - the delectable Anna Netrebko flirting with the men in the audience at a Proms event.

Ha. Well that certainly is a rather surreal take on opera, Judd. I can handle that if I had an interpreter

The Italian language I can understand a little if it's on a menu as I spent some time in Italy, but when they speak or sing it's a different story.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 10:51 PM

Maria Callas. The Easter Hymn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ISDLkGRdHg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top