Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 04:43 AM

Re: Any opera fans in here?

I enjoy opera but I only manage to go a couple of times a year. The last production I saw was Madame Butterfly a couple of months ago.

My favourite opera is The Marriage of Figaro and I intend to see it at the Sydney Opera House one of these days. It's on my bucket list.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 06:39 AM

I tried but I think maybe I picked the wrong show. Troilus and Cressida a few years ago.....never again .
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I tried but I think maybe I picked the wrong show. Troilus and Cressida a few years ago.....never again .
Oh Summer - that one is a bit strong for a first!

My first was 'Madame Butterfly' when I was 10yrs old. It was on an old steam driven b/w TV set - and I was hooked forever!!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 07:25 AM

I like il Divo seen them twice live but i dont think they count

Maybe I will try a popular opera one day. I'll put it on my to do list
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Summer darlin' yes, that was a bit 'heavy' for your introduction to opera. Try something a lot 'lighter' and gradually work up to the 'heavier' stuff. Might I suggest something from perhaps Franz Lehar, Sigmund Romburg, Richard Strauss. Even Johann Strauss wrote opera, - "Der Zigeiner Baron".
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 09:36 AM

I think opera needs to be seen live to really appreciate it rather than on TV. I have tried watching recordings before now but have got bored pretty quick.

Live performances are different because you can get caught up in the occasion and really appreciate the voices that fill a hall or arena with no sign of a microphone. Then there are the stage sets which are fantastic.

A few years ago I booked a long weekend to Verona (for Mrs LD's birthday) to see Aida in the open air Roman arena. The weather was still warm when we came out late at night plus all the bars and restaurants were still serving. A fantastic trip which we will remember forever.

Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 12:10 PM

@Longdogs. Oh my ! I can only imagine what that must have been and imagination is never as magnificent as reality.
Being a huge fan of Roman history and architecture anyway, that must have been truly amazing.
The arenas being built for the purpose of voices to be amplified . They were clever those Romans, weren't they, or maybe it was the Greeks before them ?
Wonderful experience !!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I've tried, believe me, to watch and enjoy an opera but I can't.
I enjoy classical music and music played in an opera but it's the voices. I can't abide the shrieking perhaps because I cannot decipher the lyrics and therefore know what the story is about.
Sadly not Rhian.
Same here, though I don't mind listening to some, just singing one song, but a whole opera, no thanks.

I quite like the two girls who are through to the final of The Voice though, but don't think they will go much further.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
@Longdogs. Oh my ! I can only imagine what that must have been and imagination is never as magnificent as reality.
Being a huge fan of Roman history and architecture anyway, that must have been truly amazing.
The arenas being built for the purpose of voices to be amplified . They were clever those Romans, weren't they, or maybe it was the Greeks before them ?
Wonderful experience !!
It was great because we got look around the inside of the arena during the day before the opera. Our seats were good too about ten rows from the front. Mrs LDs has always been into everything Egyptian so it was a great combination.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 10:20 PM

Londogs, that's about the most wonderful and romantic gift I've ever heard of. I am sure it was a phenomenal "you had to be there" experience.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top