Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 09:46 AM

The Byrds Vs. The Kinks

Two very different bands but each having a huge influence on other groups to come for many years. And similar in that they were overshadowed by other groups of their day.

Although I love the Kinks, I'd have to say the Byrds just win for me. I love that whole West Coast California scene. They started out as Beatles imitators but became much more than that.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 09:55 AM

Re: The Byrds Vs. The Kinks

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Two very different bands but each having a huge influence on other groups to come for many years. And similar in that they were overshadowed by other groups of their day.

Although I love the Kinks, I'd have to say the Byrds just win for me. I love that whole West Coast California scene. They started out as Beatles imitators but became much more than that.
Hahaha. Nice one, Ffosse. You're on a roll with these aren't you?!

I won't post videos as I'm doing plenty of that already in a small thread I noticed on here...
but for me it's a really tough call this one. Hmmmm.

I'm going with The Byrds by a whisker. Like yourself, I love that free 'n' easy sound whereas the Kinks are more of a suburban typically English band.

Great comparison though and a very interesting idea for a thread. Or 'threads' I could think of many myself, but it's not my idea so I won't
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 10:03 AM

I'll come down on the side of The Kinks, mainly because I couldn't get enough of them as a kid. I was also quite smitten by Ray Davis and his smile. The music was great as well. I never really followed the Californian style - it seemed a bit "samey" to me.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I'll come down on the side of The Kinks, mainly because I couldn't get enough of them as a kid. I was also quite smitten by Ray Davis and his smile. The music was great as well. I never really followed the Californian style - it seemed a bit "samey" to me.
As a lady in the forum, Aerolor, would you say that women are more interested on the whole in the singles market than they are with albums?
Can't remember who it was a while ago on here, but they said they had no time for albums as they were bringing up children, but they liked songs they heard on the radio - which were usually singles.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 10:29 AM

The Real Mr Tambourine Man,although the Byrds did a passable copy.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

07-04-2018, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
The Real Mr Tambourine Man,although the Byrds did a passable copy.
Thing about Mr. Tambourine Man was that The Byrds made it sound entirely different musically wise.
Same with Hendrix's 'All Along The Watchtower'. A completely different song almost.

I think Dylan has been covered more than any other artist, including The Beatles.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 11:01 AM

Kinks everytime
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
As a lady in the forum, Aerolor, would you say that women are more interested on the whole in the singles market than they are with albums?
Can't remember who it was a while ago on here, but they said they had no time for albums as they were bringing up children, but they liked songs they heard on the radio - which were usually singles.
Personally, I like to buy albums these days. When I was young I bought from singles and when I like an artist I usually look around for more of their work. With an album you get to know an artist better I think and get to know some of the less well known stuff. I have been looking for a song Joe Brown did and after a good trawl around I have found it - not in a single but just in an album. Can't find it on you tube at all and the album is surprisingly expensive. Perhaps you know it Floydy- First line is - On a day like this I will always miss just having you around. It's a simple thing, but very appealing (to my ear at least).
Edited to add
Just looked again and I can get it for £31.99 new or a second hand one for £7.99+ p&p.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 01:13 PM

Byrd’s get my vote I remember the fuss when they released 8 Miles High, Police, politicians et al stating it was about and glamourised drugs.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 01:30 PM

I like them both. I first saw the Kinks as the opening act if a one night stand at Dover Odeon. The top act was the Dave Clark Five - who were the first act I ever heard (over the screams)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top