Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 06:47 PM

Re: Do you buy expensive items on credit?

We buy items with a credit card for the protection given. Done that ever since we put a £200 cash deposit on a sofa ..just before the company went bust. Had we paid the deposit via credit card, the credit card company would have covered our losses.

https://www.moneysupermarket.com/cre...rd-protection/
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I don't even own a credit card !
Hi

You need to.

It gives you protection on Online purchases.

Just pay it off at the end of the Month and it costs nothing.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 06:50 PM

I don't buy anything 'on credit ' it would break my heart to pay interest on anything (other than a mortgage) .
My moto is 'if you can't pay for it you don't have it' better to save up for something.

I do use a credit card to pay for things though for convenience/insurance/ free Waitrose vouchers and transfer the money from my bank to the card provider ASAP after purchase.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 07:01 PM

Depends if they have an interest free credit offer and they wont give me a discount for cash... yes I would use their money rather than mine,
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 07:02 PM

Like Meg and Mart ( doesn't that sound like Poundland ) for big ticket purchases I use a credit card and then pay it off immediately just for the piece of mind
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 07:07 PM

I only use it if I know I can pay it off at the end of the month...
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 07:27 PM

No debt or interest charges because purchases are paid for in full at he end of the month. We have it set up so that payment is taken automatically. This way there is no need to worry about paying up on time.

The credit card company send a written statement a short time before the due date showing transactions and the amount of money they are about to take from our current account. This gives time to study the statement before money is taken, just in case there are any unrecognised transactions.

This has worked well for us for a number of years.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 07:32 PM

Works for me too.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 08:10 PM

Don't buy anything on credit.

Always live within my means.

Mortgage and early car purchases were the main exceptions to that in my life.

Credit, debt = enslavement

They are balls and chains people willingly attach to their ankles without really understanding the long term damage.

As with Swim's advice, always have a credit card in order to buy important things on the internet with full protection. Always gets paid off before any interest is due.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2018, 08:18 PM

Yes Ffosse, I do, but only for Credit Card protection purposes for a full refund of monies in the event of a dispute with sellers when buying large expensive items. I feel safer paying by Credit Card than with cash or Debit Card.

I always pay in full when my monthly statement arrives though, my parents always drilled it into me that if I couldn't afford to pay in full for something, not to buy it!! I've gone without many times because of their teachings, but so glad I've never been in debt because of it.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top