Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 07:48 PM

Grandparents

Did you have Grandparents whom you knew ,Did they spoil you?
I only had my Mothers Mother ,my Dads Mother died when he was a boy.Because we lived in London & Gran uo North I seldom saw her,she was not a very loving person ,rather hard.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 07:56 PM

Re: Grandparents

My Mother's parents lived in Eire, and my Father's in Skegness.Holidays from school - specifically Easter and Summer hols - were spent with one or the other alternately.

Grandma and Grandpa (Eire) were more formal and stricter about rules - but great fun to be with - we went on nature walks by the sea, and had trips to Dublin for shopping and to visit museums.

Granny and Grandad (Skegness) were more relaxed, had fewer rules, but were also a lot of fun. Sadly, Granny died when I was 5yrs old, so I did not know her as well as I would like to have done. One of granddad's sisters moved in to keep house for him - and she was lovely.

I have photos of them and of 5 of my 8 Great Grandparents.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 08:27 PM

I knew just one set of grandparents.

My maternal granddad adored me and I adored him. I could do no wrong in his eyes. He replaced the father I never knew.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 09:08 PM

Mums parents... both in Sally Army, They ran a guest house in Blackpool. He also had a jewellers shop (I think it was). Played trombone in the S.A.
They weren't the life and soul of anything. He suffered with mental health problems and had quite bad episodes in later life.

Dads parents - Lived in Kent. Can't remember Grandad, he died of bowel cancer when I was very young, but did own a shoe shop.
Grandma, I loved her to bits - just too many memories for me to relate - so I won't or I'll be typing all night.
Wonderful she was, bless her little cotton socks.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 09:27 PM

Never knew them.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 09:51 PM

I only knew my grandma who was my mum's mum. My dad was a generation older than my mum and his parents died prematurely before WWII and my mum's dad was about as much older than my gran and he died in 1945 just before the war ended. He'd been wounded in WWI and died of complications from that. I do wish I'd had a grandad I'd known and it's strange that my grandparents died so long before I was born.

The gran I knew was fierce if challenged but very loving. A strong-minded independent woman who had five children and had to carry on with them alone after her husband died. She lived to 90 and would always have an afternoon nap. I know my grandfather doted on her. She lived with us for a while when I was a child and I spent a lot of time with her.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 10:00 PM

Both my grandads died before I was old enough to get to know them, but I did have the privilege of both grandmothers.
My father's mother was a methodist and fiercely religious and a bit on the strict side. My mother's mother liked a glass or two of guiness or stout, and smoked a thousand senior service every day and the better company of the two.....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 10:01 PM

I never knew my grandparents...
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 10:38 PM

I only had one grandmother but she wasn't a loving kind of lady , we felt she didn't really like kids but she did always send us a 5 shilling postal order for our birthdays . She was a lady and was married and widowed 3 times and liked the men and always wanted a 4th husband

I did have a nan who died when I was about 7 but we hardly saw her so my memory is vague .

I would have loved grandparents who were loving
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2018, 12:51 AM

I didn’t see much of my granparents as they lived in lreland but l remember when they came to England and my grandmother kisssed me, l could smell Ponds cream.
She was a kindly woman with twinkly, sapphire blue eyes and she played the accordion and sang, ‘The forty shades of green’.

My grandfather, had an accident when he was younger and had one leg shorter than the other. When he walked, he went up high but then came down again!

I didn’t know my other grandfather as he died young but my other grandmother would visit and she was very strict and we were frightened of her. She was deaf and and had a hearing aid box thing attached to her chest!
It’s funny, the things you remember when you were a child!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top