Join for free
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 02:50 PM

Re: Andy Murray -

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
They were saying on the news today that they couldn't imagine tennis without him. Whaaaat? Tennis players come and go and this huge-gobbed English-hating attention-sucking Scot will be replaced by another tedious limelight-hugging bore.

I bet his mum Judy is even more devastated.
She won't be a "celebrity" anymore, squeezing her cash from his fame.

WRONG!!! - Have you forgotten his Brother who I understand is a Doubles Champion???
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
WRONG!!! - Have you forgotten his Brother who I understand is a Doubles Champion???
Damn! I was hoping not be reminded of that.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I watched and thought how awful for him his one career he trained for from a very young age taken from him by pain in his hip. Must feel pretty rotten to have it taken from him like that, so I felt sorry for him welling up and not being able to keep it together. Hard hearted lot you are not to empathise with the man.

I hope he finds another passion can keep him busy now as he's still a young man.

BTW being brought up to keep emotions in was undoing of my husband and sent him into a tail spin ended up in a mental health facility last year, better to let it out than mess yourself up in that way.
I agree Julie. I don't particularly like tennis, but he worked hard to to achieve his status & I think the UK should be proud of him.
He was nominated as Sportsman of the year 3 times, so I am at least comforted by the fact that some of the population are proud of people, who do well, in the UK.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 03:42 PM

What part of my text is wrong, Joe? I never even mentioned his brother!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I agree Julie. I don't particularly like tennis, but he worked hard to to achieve his status & I think the UK should be proud of him.
He was nominated as Sportsman of the year 3 times, so I am at least comforted by the fact that some of the population are proud of people, who do well, in the UK.
To be nominated as Sports Personality of the Year, surely you need a personality to begin with?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 03:59 PM

To be nominated as Sports Personality of the Year, surely you need a personality to begin with?
You may not like him Floydy, but he was the best, male, British tennis player that Britain has had for 50 years.... and I don't remember the ones before then.
If he hadn't played Tennis he could have been taken on by Rangers Football team, but he chose tennis.
I am proud of any person that plays a sport for their country, even footballers, and I can't stand football.

Would I like to be Andy Murray's best friend? Probably not!
Do I respect his achievements in tennis? Of course I do, because I respect anybody who makes an effort to do well in life!
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 03:59 PM

Most people wouldn't know he has a brother.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 04:20 PM

They were saying on the news today that they couldn't imagine tennis without him. Whaaaat? Tennis players come and go and this huge-gobbed English-hating attention-sucking Scot will be replaced by another tedious limelight-hugging bore.

I bet his mum Judy is even more devastated.
She won't be a "celebrity" anymore, squeezing her cash from his fame.
Floydy, you can come across as quite ignorant at times.

Andy Murray is in fact a very caring person. He was the best tennis player we've had for many, many years. Like many other sportsmen he also does a lot for Charity.

Judy, his mother is not just a celebrity, she has played tennis since childhood, won 64 titles in Scotland during her Junior and Senior career and is now the Scottish tennis coach. She has also been awarded the OBE for services to tennis, women in sport, and charity.

Now, tell me again weight lifters do.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 04:27 PM

I have no problem with aplauding his achievements .
He has won everything - he's a top tennis player for those who have never heard of him .
He has been knighted
He is 31 has a personal worth of £83 million and has a great future ahead as a coach commentator etc etc
What has he got to cry about ?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
You may not like him Floydy, but he was the best, male, British tennis player that Britain has had for 50 years.... and I don't remember the ones before then.
If he hadn't played Tennis he could have been taken on by Rangers Football team, but he chose tennis.
I am proud of any person that plays a sport for their country, even footballers, and I can't stand football.

Would I like to be Andy Murray's best friend? Probably not!
Do I respect his achievements in tennis? Of course I do, because I respect anybody who makes an effort to do well in life!
Well said, mind I think I might like him as a friend he always comes across as a nice young man scared to say anything media will leap on a destroy him with, like a rabbit in the headlights when he first came on the scene I thought.

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top