Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 11:08 AM

Re: First ever photo of a Black Hole!

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
The grey sphere is the hole is it OGF?
Looks to be a very regular shape to me? but when you
thnk about it, l suppose it would be if it was formed by
gravity.
I have a question for you though, l used to look at the
southern hemisphere skies and l observed( by eye and by
binoculars ) patches of sky that were blacker and contained
no stars at all, in an otherwise star studded area of sky!
My question is, what are these barren patches of sky?
My second question is, are they what is called black
Matter?

Best Regards Donkeyman!
I appreciate your question donkeyman but there are posters on here far more qualified than me to answer your query....

My universe only stretches as far as the places I have lived and visited, for a more detailed explanation I can do one of two things:-
(1) I can direct you to the many articles produced on the internet, in books, and of course the BBC/NASA and make your own conclusions....Or
(2) Offer my own opinion based on the above sources and a very active imagination....
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 02:39 PM

Looks like we are at similar levels of comprehension then
OGF,
Im afraid l refuse to use google, l think my brain needs all
the exercise it can get!
I do have few books l can read, if l can find them in the
garage! But it is good fun to fantasise and that is probably
as good as anything else!

Best Regards Donkeyman!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 04:31 AM

Realist, I totally agree with you about the colors. Coloration is typically based on compounds found on spectrometry results of the objects being observed, and then the software imposes the colors of similar compounds that we see here on Earth producing the images that we are shown.

You have hit on one of the fundamental problems of understanding the universe; there is too much unaccounted for. Too much what? Antimatter? Matter? Energy? Something else?

One of the things that I should add about the bread metaphor is that there is a myth that in some distant time, the skies would grow dark. That's not the case. Most of the galaxies are moving father apart, not the objects within the universe. One of these days, the Andromeda galaxy will merge with ours. Now that would be stunning!

I don't think anything bleak about the future of the universe at all! It's probably just a big recycling machine. It's just a little lonely out here, being new on the scene and all.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top