Join for free
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 08:26 PM

Railway Stations

Aren't they a wonderful resource for people watching?

I had gone to York station today to meet a friend arriving from Goring on Thames via London. There were problems with the overhead lines in the Peterborough area - so her train was running late - and I had half an hour to sit and watch the people go by. It was great fun.

I had no idea there were so many Chinese people in York - dozens of them arrived - mostly heading for London.

The most colourful were a bunch of aged Hippies - yes - really! Kaftans, beads, beards, jeans with multi coloured patches, those embroidered hairy goatskin jackets - and a lingering scent of cannabis!! They were off to Scarborough - yes - I had to ask!!

There were a couple of pretty young Indian women in lovely saris, and few Pakistanis in full purdah.

A bunch of unwashed french students polluting the atmosphere with their rank BO.

But the scariest thing - young mums with toddlers - allowing them to race about unchecked - even near the edges of the platforms - while they sat drinking coffee, discussing last night's dreary soap operas, and fiddling with their 'Smart' 'phones.

There were a surprising number of dogs travelling - with owners in tow of course.

And three RC priests - in long black cassocks - it is a long time since I saw that - they mostly wear suits outside of church these days.

Friend eventually arrived - and we had a fabulous day!
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 09:19 PM

Re: Railway Stations

I agree.When I lived in London,on a day off I would often visit one of the big terminals and sit and watch the travelers.
Nice to see the title of Railway station ,by the way, and not train as everyone says these days.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 09:21 PM

I haven't traveled on a train since I stopped full time work & moved to Devon, a long time ago. The bus is better for me here & it's free.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 10:25 PM

I don't like railway stations they fill me with dread all that dust and noise ...
Even the beautiful local station which is Victorian and has a tea room makes me fearful. Odd I know....

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top