Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 10:04 AM

I Would Love A Garden Trug/Planter... But...

Would l be wasting my money?

I have never really been lucky in growing strawberries but l always have an abundance of raspberries, Loganberries and red currants.

At the moment l am feeling a bit despondent about the strawberries l grew last year and this year and wonder if a Trug planter would be the answer to my troubles?

Last year, l bought some strawberry plants from a garden centre but the majority just produced, runners. The strawberries l did get, the birds nicked most of them, even though they had netting over them!

I have a slightly raised bed in my garden so l put all the runners in there. I was thrilled to see lots of strawberries coming. I put slug pellets down but the strawberries were still got at!

I transferred some of them into a large pot and put them in the greenhouse but l have to keep the door shut as a bird must have got in and had a feast as red juice was splattered around!

This is my dilemma... Do l grow them all in my greenhouse in future, or spend £140 or so on a large Trug planter.
Or, do l just give up growing strawberries and spend the £140 on punnets of strawberries in the shop?

What would you do?

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	FA3C9758-CD3E-4580-8134-AD04CEB9BCC8.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	10077  
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 10:08 AM

Re: I Would Love A Garden Trug/Planter... But...

Grow them in the greenhouse but keep the door shut?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Grow them in the greenhouse but keep the door shut?
Bratti, l bet you laughed your head off as you wrote those words of wisdom!!
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Bratti, l bet you laughed your head off as you wrote those words of wisdom!!
You think?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Would l be wasting my money?

I have never really been lucky in growing strawberries but l always have an abundance of raspberries, Loganberries and red currants.

At the moment l am feeling a bit despondent about the strawberries l grew last year and this year and wonder if a Trug planter would be the answer to my troubles?

Last year, l bought some strawberry plants from a garden centre but the majority just produced, runners. The strawberries l did get, the birds nicked most of them, even though they had netting over them!

I have a slightly raised bed in my garden so l put all the runners in there. I was thrilled to see lots of strawberries coming. I put slug pellets down but the strawberries were still got at!

I transferred some of them into a large pot and put them in the greenhouse but l have to keep the door shut as a bird must have got in and had a feast as red juice was splattered around!

This is my dilemma... Do l grow them all in my greenhouse in future, or spend £140 or so on a large Trug planter.
Or, do l just give up growing strawberries and spend the £140 on punnets of strawberries in the shop?

What would you do?

Firstly,when I looked at that "Trug planter"...I thought it was a "Hay Bail holder"for the cows to feed from,

Art don't waste your money,..personally I find that true planter an eye saw..

Keep trying.look up all the information on how to grow strawberries.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 02:31 PM

My late OH built his for our Strawberries, Art.
Similar to the one in the photo, but lighter & not as chunky. It worked well & the strawberries were delicious. There must be a cheaper one you could buy.
There are, I looked on Amazon, there are lots of trugs all different prices there.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 02:39 PM

If you grow strawberries in a greenhouse, you will have to keep them well watered, and have to leave the door open so insects can pollinate them, did you have the nets over them so the bees and other pollinators couldn’t get to the flowers when they were outside ?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

03-07-2019, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Firstly,when I looked at that "Trug planter"...I thought it was a "Hay Bail holder"for the cows to feed from,

Art don't waste your money,..personally I find that true planter an eye saw..

Keep trying.look up all the information on how to grow strawberries.
Pauline, l keep cracking up laughing at the thought of a herd of cattle in my garden feeding out of the trug!

Imagine the cowpats l’d have to dodge!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

03-07-2019, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
My late OH built his for our Strawberries, Art.
Similar to the one in the photo, but lighter & not as chunky. It worked well & the strawberries were delicious. There must be a cheaper one you could buy.
There are, I looked on Amazon, there are lots of trugs all different prices there.
Gosh Tiffany, your late husband was a clever man to build one.
Thank You, for your advice to look at Amazon. I will have a look.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

03-07-2019, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
If you grow strawberries in a greenhouse, you will have to keep them well watered, and have to leave the door open so insects can pollinate them, did you have the nets over them so the bees and other pollinators couldn’t get to the flowers when they were outside ?
Yes, Primus, l did have nets over the ones outside and there were lots of strawberries but some of the blackbirds and pigeons around here are massive! I think they must have stood on the railway sleepers round the edge and just feasted through the netting.

Yes, you’re right about the greenhouse door should be kept open but small birds and massive bumble bees are always in my greenhouse. The two windows in the roof of the greenhouse are open but l don’t think so many insects go in there now like they did.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top