Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 05:01 PM

Re: I Would Love A Garden Trug/Planter... But...

Art, sounds like growing strawberries is a bit of a faff, I would go to your local pyo, and get a punnet when you fancy one...
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Gosh Tiffany, your late husband was a clever man to build one.
Thank You, for your advice to look at Amazon. I will have a look.
You are very welcome, Artie
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 09:52 PM

Art, if birds are pecking through the netting, I can only think that either the net is not high enough above the fruit, or else the net is too bigger holes, and their beaks peck through.

I have some of this stuff, and it's good.
It is such a fine mesh, even flies can't get through it, but it still needs to be propped up I'd say, at least a foot higher than the top of the fruit, and tauth enough so a heavy bird can weigh it down and peck through.

Then you could save your money on the raised trough and still grow them in the ground.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=923

(If I'm not vigilant, one of my dogs, Nellie, nicks mine fruit before the birds even.)
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 05:26 PM

Had the same feelings myself this year on growing strawberry's. Silly me got rid of all my plants a couple of years ago.

Great idea if you have the space to use trug planters.
Must admit I had to Google it to see what you meant.
Then I realised it has a lot of similarity to the pick your own farms way of growing strawberry's.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Trug...h=423&dpr=1.38

Keep them high off the ground easy to pick as well, not quite sure of the net covering and how the farms keep the birds away, but hubby should be able to knock something up surely.

Personally if I want birds to stay away I use the kiddies plastic windmills that are always spinning around I put them around the plants, and they scare off the birds.
You can buy them in packs at places like Poundland cheap as chips.

Good luck with the strawberry's next season, thats if you decide to grow them. You only need a couple of plants they are really easy to grow and by the end of the season each should have given you at least 3/4 more plants for the following year.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Had the same feelings myself this year on growing strawberry's. Silly me got rid of all my plants a couple of years ago.

Great idea if you have the space to use trug planters.
Must admit I had to Google it to see what you meant.
Then I realised it has a lot of similarity to the pick your own farms way of growing strawberry's.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Trug...h=423&dpr=1.38

Keep them high off the ground easy to pick as well, not quite sure of the net covering and how the farms keep the birds away, but hubby should be able to knock something up surely.

Personally if I want birds to stay away I use the kiddies plastic windmills that are always spinning around I put them around the plants, and they scare off the birds.
You can buy them in packs at places like Poundland cheap as chips.

Good luck with the strawberry's next season, thats if you decide to grow them. You only need a couple of plants they are really easy to grow and by the end of the season each should have given you at least 3/4 more plants for the following year.
Thank You, Longfellow.
I haven’t got a husband to make me one!
I do have a friend who is a Cabinetmaker and he taught Carpentry at a college. He did actually offer to make one for me. I sort of declined as l didn’t know if he was just saying it and l didn’t want to put him to any trouble.

What a shame you got rid of all your strawberry plants, you could’ve had a few feasts with those... well, that’s if the birds or slugs didn’t get them first!

I do have two giant windmills in the garden but the wind has ravaged them. I do need to get some more as they are great for frightening the birds off!
I will look in Poundland for the ones you’ve mentioned.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Art, if birds are pecking through the netting, I can only think that either the net is not high enough above the fruit, or else the net is too bigger holes, and their beaks peck through.

I have some of this stuff, and it's good.
It is such a fine mesh, even flies can't get through it, but it still needs to be propped up I'd say, at least a foot higher than the top of the fruit, and tauth enough so a heavy bird can weigh it down and peck through.

Then you could save your money on the raised trough and still grow them in the ground.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=923

(If I'm not vigilant, one of my dogs, Nellie, nicks mine fruit before the birds even.)
Mups, Thank You.
I think the netting you mention would have been more suitable. The netting l used was fairly wide.

Your Nellie would’ve had a big feast of strawberries here, if she could have beaten the birds and slugs to them!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 11:11 PM

Mups, Thank You.
I think the netting you mention would have been more suitable. The netting l used was fairly wide.

Your Nellie would’ve had a big feast of strawberries here, if she could have beaten the birds and slugs to them!

She said she'll be on the next train.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2019, 10:31 AM

Art you say your single, what is wrong with the men where you live they must be blind.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2019, 09:13 PM

Would l be wasting my money?

I have never really been lucky in growing strawberries but l always have an abundance of raspberries, Loganberries and red currants.

At the moment l am feeling a bit despondent about the strawberries l grew last year and this year and wonder if a Trug planter would be the answer to my troubles?

Last year, l bought some strawberry plants from a garden centre but the majority just produced, runners. The strawberries l did get, the birds nicked most of them, even though they had netting over them!

I have a slightly raised bed in my garden so l put all the runners in there. I was thrilled to see lots of strawberries coming. I put slug pellets down but the strawberries were still got at!

I transferred some of them into a large pot and put them in the greenhouse but l have to keep the door shut as a bird must have got in and had a feast as red juice was splattered around!

This is my dilemma... Do l grow them all in my greenhouse in future, or spend £140 or so on a large Trug planter.
Or, do l just give up growing strawberries and spend the £140 on punnets of strawberries in the shop?

What would you do?
Strawberries do not produce at the first year but put runners out.

Second year will produce fruit.

Third year the same.

Forth year will produce very little and just die off
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

06-07-2019, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Art you say your single, what is wrong with the men where you live they must be blind.
realspeed, I do go out on dates but l like my independence. Once they get serious, l run for it!

As l mentioned earlier in the thread, one did offer to build a veg trug for me recently.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top