Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2019, 09:43 PM

Weed killers.

Has anyone tried vinegar and salt as an unwanted plant killer (weed killer to some).
I ask as I feel that this could be a safer option for pets to the commercial shop used ones.
I have read that this solution could kill the ground where it is sprayed, so nothing will grow there again.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2019, 10:06 PM

Re: Weed killers.

Hi Emjay I have tried it on the garden path it killed the weeds but others grew .

I mixed it with boiling water and applied with a watering can.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2019, 10:39 PM

That's what I do as well. Also on deep rooted Dandelions I pour salt straight onto what's left after I've yanked most of it out. This usually kills it dead in a few days.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2019, 10:52 PM

A salt solution works but weeds will come back eventually.

Nevertheless, I use it because, as you point out, it's safer for pets.

Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2019, 10:55 PM

I always used to use a sachet of blue crystals called Weedol. and it worked a treat. I can't get it anymore and what's selling as liquid Weedol is no use at all, be as well just pouring tap water on the weeds.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2019, 08:26 AM

Thank you for your replies. I read that it kills the ground so nothing will grow there. It seems from what you say, it does not.
I would like to stop the growth that comes between the paving.
Ah well back to the drawing board.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2019, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
Thank you for your replies. I read that it kills the ground so nothing will grow there. It seems from what you say, it does not.
I would like to stop the growth that comes between the paving.
Ah well back to the drawing board.
Emjay the weeds which grow between the paving (a problem I have too) are often airborne, they are not rooted plants growing back. They require very little sustenance in the form of soil . Kill them with anything and in time another lot will grow.
I have 'sealed' the cracks a number of times with a mix of sand and cement and still get weeds.

I am happy with vinegar and salt on areas where pets are walking and I prefer not to have chemicals in my garden at all because of the wildlife .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 11:12 AM

Emjay, the company called 'Green Gardener' make a biodegradable weedkiller which they claim is safe found pets, children and even chickens - once it's dry.
Thinking of trying this myself.

Here's a link for you:

https://www.greengardener.co.uk/biod...750ml-rtu.html
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK

17-07-2019, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Emjay, the company called 'Green Gardener' make a biodegradable weedkiller which they claim is safe found pets, children and even chickens - once it's dry.
Thinking of trying this myself.

Here's a link for you:

https://www.greengardener.co.uk/biod...750ml-rtu.html
Thanks Mups. I think that is expensive as I would need a lot of it for my job that I need to do.
A 5 litre of vinegar from Costco, and the salt that I already have would be a fraction of the price.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
Thanks Mups. I think that is expensive as I would need a lot of it for my job that I need to do.
A 5 litre of vinegar from Costco, and the salt that I already have would be a fraction of the price.

Oh ok. I didn't know you needed a large quantity.
Not to worry.

What's the ratio of vinegar to salt you use please.
Do you dilute the vinegar?
I've never tried this.

Aha, not to worry thanks, I have just found this, but it doesn't say whether you add any water?

Make sure to never pour the salt mixture on soil, as the solution will make sure that nothing grows in that spot again.

1. Pour 1 gallon of white vinegar into a bucket. ...
2. Add 1 cup of table salt. ...
3. Stir in 1 tablespoon of liquid dishwashing soap. ...
4. Funnel the weed killer into a plastic spray bottle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top