Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 10:20 PM

Re: Even a Green MEP feels Duped by the EU

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Perhaps, but only from the UK I guess. What is one the things mep from your country have to adjust to, is that in europarliament you do not represent the UK, let alone constituents.
You are supposed to make laws that are in the interest of all the 500 mln inhabitants of the EU. Including the UK, including that small number of constituents.
Most parliaments in europe function in that fashion. A little preparation, a little interest in the rest of the world, would have prevented the disappointment for some of the british mep's.
I thought the reason for meps was to give the impression
that there was some sort democracy was at work in the
EU institutions Solly, which if your post above is correct
proves that there is no democracy??

Regards Donkeyman!
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->

Regards Donkeyman!
No, the intention of europarliament is to agree upon on a rule/policy that is in the interest of all inhabitants, regardless of religion, race or geography. Not just a small fraction.
As I see it, that is different from the HoC where mp battle for their constuents. Which is logical since they are chosen as persons, in other countries the vote is first for the party and it's manifest.
Both processes are democratic.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 05:17 AM

Regards Donkeyman!
Then it seems that you don’t really understand how the EU works and have fallen for that “undemocratic” claptrap perpetuated by Euro sceptics
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
Then it seems that you don’t really understand how the EU works and have fallen for that “undemocratic” claptrap perpetuated by Euro sceptics

I see the EU minimum wage is coming. I take it you are in favour of Brussels telling everyone how much they get paid in each country.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
My understanding of the meps function is that they are meant
to represent their own countries interests in the eu
parliament? Your understanding only makes sense once eu
has become one country, which it is not at present???

Regards Donkeyman!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

17-07-2019, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
No, the intention of europarliament is to agree upon on a rule/policy that is in the interest of all inhabitants, regardless of religion, race or geography. Not just a small fraction.
As I see it, that is different from the HoC where mp battle for their constuents. Which is logical since they are chosen as persons, in other countries the vote is first for the party and it's manifest.
Both processes are democratic.
See my reply to Banchory, Solly!
Regards Donkeyman!
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 01:11 PM

See my reply to Banchory, Solly!
Regards Donkeyman!
If your understanding were true, countries would form factions based on country similarities. For instance, small countries like netherlands, belgium and luxemburg would form a faction, or southern european countries like greece and italy would be forming a fraction. Factions however, are based on ideologies views.
So you can have UK lib dems in one faction, voting against labour in an other european faction.
So no, representing a country is NOT the intention of being a mep.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 01:44 PM

Funny, I didn't see Ursula van de Leyen on the ballot paper .... how democratic.

If you listen to her speech (which starts off about "wealth and freedom ... yaaaawn) she says "more foreign policy decisions by QMV" (to lots of boo's) ... I guess we know where this is going.

More Europe

Less Sovereignty

Less Democracy

More power to the Brussels mafia.
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
I see the EU minimum wage is coming. I take it you are in favour of Brussels telling everyone how much they get paid in each country.

The European Commission will propose tomorrow (18 April) introducing a minimum salary in countries like Germany where it does not exist yet, and raise wages where they are considered too low, according to a draft seen by EURACTIV.

Having a job is not a recipe against poverty in Europe. Indeed, more than 8% of European workers live with salaries that keep them below the poverty threshold, EU figures show.

“The risk of in-work poverty is high, particularly in countries with uneven earnings distribution and low minimum wages, among people with temporary contracts and in low work intensity and single parent households,” reads the Commission communication, ‘Towards a job-rich recovery’, which the EU executive will publish on Wednesday.

Seems a good idea to me, pity you had to put your demented bias on it, but what can one expect?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

17-07-2019, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by itsme ->
The European Commission will propose tomorrow (18 April) introducing a minimum salary in countries like Germany where it does not exist yet, and raise wages where they are considered too low, according to a draft seen by EURACTIV.

Having a job is not a recipe against poverty in Europe. Indeed, more than 8% of European workers live with salaries that keep them below the poverty threshold, EU figures show.

“The risk of in-work poverty is high, particularly in countries with uneven earnings distribution and low minimum wages, among people with temporary contracts and in low work intensity and single parent households,” reads the Commission communication, ‘Towards a job-rich recovery’, which the EU executive will publish on Wednesday.

Seems a good idea to me, pity you had to put your demented bias on it, but what can one expect?

Even worse, all it will do is put loads of people out of work.

Brussels deciding what poverty is and how much people should get paid..... what a great idea

Here comes the EU magic money tree ...

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top