Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 01:46 PM

EU Democracy at Work.

Just thought I would ask. Did YOU miss it? Apparently, the vote took place to elect the most powerful person in Brussels last night. Were you one of the millions of European citizens glued to their television sets to await the result? Oh, wait a minute, no need, There was only one name on the ballot paper! A woman who has been a close ally of German Chancellor Angela Merkel for the past 15 years. Very handy. (Not what you know, it’s who you know)

Of course, in this highly democratic building, the vote was so secret, we still can’t even find out how British MEP’s voted. We do know however, that out of a possible 747 votes, and remember, she was the only candidate, she only just scraped through with 9 votes!!.

Please note also, the Pro-Remain MPs in our own Parliament haven’t stopped bleating that the “Parliamentary arithmetic” will prevent Brexit happening on the 31st October 2019.
Of course, they conveniently forget to add that the “People’s arithmetic” in 2016 resulted in a democratic majority to leave the European Union.

So, there you have it. A one-horse race, and that horse won - Just. Never mind, if there had been 2 candidates, it would have been likened to a Donkey Derby.

We will, of course, await all Remainers to be up in arms today, declaring that this EU vote was undemocratic, that the electorate was lied to, that in any case they were old and ignorant and didn’t know what they were doing, and that another vote is required - oh, wait……Pigs might fly.

I look forward to Remainers hypocritical response when they are asked about this “EU democracy at work” voting procedure for this farcical appointment. Flippin heck, even in the Presidential Elections in Russia last year, there were 8 candidates! The EU don’t even pretend to have an election - she was plucked out of the blue by a mere 28 leaders (including Maybot) and presented as a “take it or leave it” to MEPs. She was no-one’s first choice, just a last-minute option.

Frau von der Leyen is an outright Euro-federalist and a fervent believer in an EU army. She has never said a single positive thing about the UK. Oh, and I read that she is highly disliked in her own country after as German Defence Minister until yesterday, she has left them in absolute chaos, having to embarrassingly use wooden shaped sticks instead of real guns during recent Nato exercises.

If ever this farcical appointment to the highest EU office reinforces the need to get out of that bearpit as quickly as possible, Seek no further evidence.

What we have witnessed in Strasbourg defies belief. But there we are, par for the course. Judge for yourselves.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 01:54 PM

Re: EU Democracy at Work.

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Just thought I would ask. Did YOU miss it? Apparently, the vote took place to elect the most powerful person in Brussels last night. Were you one of the millions of European citizens glued to their television sets to await the result? Oh, wait a minute, no need, There was only one name on the ballot paper! A woman who has been a close ally of German Chancellor Angela Merkel for the past 15 years. Very handy. (Not what you know, it’s who you know)

Of course, in this highly democratic building, the vote was so secret, we still can’t even find out how British MEP’s voted. We do know however, that out of a possible 747 votes, and remember, she was the only candidate, she only just scraped through with 9 votes!!.

Please note also, the Pro-Remain MPs in our own Parliament haven’t stopped bleating that the “Parliamentary arithmetic” will prevent Brexit happening on the 31st October 2019.
Of course, they conveniently forget to add that the “People’s arithmetic” in 2016 resulted in a democratic majority to leave the European Union.

So, there you have it. A one-horse race, and that horse won - Just. Never mind, if there had been 2 candidates, it would have been likened to a Donkey Derby.

We will, of course, await all Remainers to be up in arms today, declaring that this EU vote was undemocratic, that the electorate was lied to, that in any case they were old and ignorant and didn’t know what they were doing, and that another vote is required - oh, wait……Pigs might fly.

I look forward to Remainers hypocritical response when they are asked about this “EU democracy at work” voting procedure for this farcical appointment. Flippin heck, even in the Presidential Elections in Russia last year, there were 8 candidates! The EU don’t even pretend to have an election - she was plucked out of the blue by a mere 28 leaders (including Maybot) and presented as a “take it or leave it” to MEPs. She was no-one’s first choice, just a last-minute option.

Frau von der Leyen is an outright Euro-federalist and a fervent believer in an EU army. She has never said a single positive thing about the UK. Oh, and I read that she is highly disliked in her own country after as German Defence Minister until yesterday, she has left them in absolute chaos, having to embarrassingly use wooden shaped sticks instead of real guns during recent Nato exercises.

If ever this farcical appointment to the highest EU office reinforces the need to get out of that bearpit as quickly as possible, Seek no further evidence.

What we have witnessed in Strasbourg defies belief. But there we are, par for the course. Judge for yourselves.

One minor point SG

you mentioned that there was only one name on the ballot... there wasn't there were numerous, including hot favourite Mr Timmermans... but unfortunately, none of those names on the ballot was (the most unpopular politician in Germany) Fr Ursula von de Leyen.

This time, they elected someone who wasn't on the ballot as opposed to last time where Jean-Claude Juncker was the ONLY person on the ballot.

Isn' democracy wonderful
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 01:58 PM

Will you be withdrawing the british military from germany on november 1?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 02:18 PM

Just thought I would ask. Did YOU miss it?
Did you send in your ballot paper with your choice of pm?

Have you noticed a point of interest in von der leyens being voted president of the commission? Frans timmermans was unacceptable for hungary and poland, he had spoken out about their corruption and repression of judiciary.
One of the first statements of von der leyen on her election was that she would tackle the repression of judiciary systems. Timmermans is her right hand in her new job.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Only if Germany don't pay their NATO contributions
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
One minor point SG

you mentioned that there was only one name on the ballot... there wasn't there were numerous, including hot favourite Mr Timmermans... but unfortunately, none of those names on the ballot was (the most unpopular politician in Germany) Fr Ursula von de Leyen.

This time, they elected someone who wasn't on the ballot as opposed to last time where Jean-Claude Juncker was the ONLY person on the ballot.

Isn' democracy wonderful
I stand corrected Bread! I should have worded it better. I appreciate that no-one in the bearpit could agree with the first lot of candidates. I also understand that Timmermans was hoping to just walk into the prized position as he was Juncker's choice to succeed him. However, I stand by my point though that Ursula von der Leyen was the only unapposed candidate in the second round when chosen. w not even one of the original on the list was entered to make it even look like a contest. That is true democracy. NOT!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

17-07-2019, 02:45 PM

Who knows ? The EU negotiators spending the last three years acting like spoilt brats certainly hasn't helped reach a decision on what to do about British forces based in Europe.
If it happens, it happens. Bring them home if necessary.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

17-07-2019, 02:49 PM

I stand corrected Bread! I should have worded it better. I appreciate that no-one in the bearpit could agree with the first lot of candidates. I also understand that Timmermans was hoping to just walk into the prized position as he was Juncker's choice to succeed him. However, I stand by my point though that Ursula von der Leyen was the only unapposed candidate in the second round when chosen. w not even one of the original on the list was entered to make it even look like a contest. That is true democracy. NOT!
At least all in europarliament could vote on von der leyen, or against her.
Is it true that in the UK the top job is given to the one chosen by a only a part of the parliament, and a small fraction of inhabitants? You call that democracy at work?
As things stand the EU could teach you the meaning of the word democracy.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

17-07-2019, 02:58 PM

Is it true that in the UK the top job is given to the one chosen by a only a part of the parliament, and a small fraction of inhabitants? You call that democracy at work?
I'll take our democracy over your EU's, thank you.

One only has to recall the treatment meted out by the democratic EU towards the one proud country where the very meaning of democracy was founded - GREECE.
i'll say no more on the above as I don't wish to embarrass you europhiles any further.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

17-07-2019, 03:01 PM

No it can't.

Stop being silly

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top