Join for free
Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 11:51 PM

Re: Wills and Executors

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
When my younger sister was killed in a traffic pile up in 2002, my elder sister and her husband were the executors. They had to apply for probate because any institution that deals with money, banks, building societies, insurance companies would refuse to deal with then unless they sent them a copy of the probate letter and a copy of my sisters death certificate.

Because it was a death due to a traffic accident (4 people died in total), the coroner would not release my sisters body until the police investigation was over, which took 6 months. Fortunately we did not have to pay for storage.

Applying for probate costs money, i think back then in 2002, i think it was £200. Then each financial institution requested admin fee's to release the accounts to the executors upon receipt of probate letter and death cert.

My sister was cremated, the family could not agree where to put her ashes so a tree was put in the grounds of the crematorium which we had to pay for, plus we had to pay for wanting her ashes spread around the tree.

That was my first experience of dealing with a death in the family and i was totally shocked at how expensive dying is.
Probate has gone up .
Unless your estate is less than £50k then you pay nothing .
Otherwise it's got more expensive .
Probate is another tax for doing nothing .
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...ate-fees-hike/
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
We don't have wills, executors, or funeral plans.

Just a request for Both Sides Now (original version) by Joni Mitchell to be played.
If you have any assets you need a will.
If you die intestate it will make it life very very difficult for your heirs .
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
If you have any assets you need a will.
If you die intestate it will make it life very very difficult for your heirs .
Couldn’t agree more.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 08:35 AM

It is most likely that I will die before my wife. Our estate is in both our names so all will automatically become hers.

Should she die before me, I would then make necessary arrangements.

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
both go at once
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 09:04 AM

So many people don't get around to making wills which is really silly. A long time friend of ours in his 70s keeps putting it off. He has no relatives and is probably a millionaire, if he doesn't make a will his money will go to the government of the country in which he is living. Surely it would be better to donate it to a worthwhile charity? I must nag him again when I next see him.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->

Anything in this life is possible ,e.g . a RTA?
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2019, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
So many people don't get around to making wills which is really silly. A long time friend of ours in his 70s keeps putting it off. He has no relatives and is probably a millionaire, if he doesn't make a will his money will go to the government of the country in which he is living. Surely it would be better to donate it to a worthwhile charity? I must nag him again when I next see him.
I agree! If you don’t plan what happens to your estate , then it goes to the government which seems heartless & pointless.
Why not leave a legacy?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

19-07-2019, 06:40 AM

The fact is there is something daunting about making a will.
It means acknowledging out own mortality .
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2019, 08:30 AM

I just don't understand that way of thinking, we know we are all going to die sooner or later.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2019, 12:47 PM

Even worse ,yesterday after I had discussed my new will , I was asked if I’d thought about EPOA in the event I might lose my faculties . Thoughts about the latter happening to me I admit are depressing because you hear so much about it now it’s a distinct possibility .

Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top