Join for free
Yorkshireman100
west yorkshire
Yorkshireman100 is male  Yorkshireman100 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2013, 04:58 PM

Check your fuel cost monthly

To make sure you are on the best tariff for gas and electricity
have it checked each month for free by signing up to the new service.

www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2013, 07:17 PM

Re: Check your fuel cost monthly

Thanks for the link Malcolm. We are currently trying to get ours changed... but they all seem to want to lock you in for a year or more :/ I reckon they should make lock-ins illegal when it comes to fuel.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2013, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Yorkshireman100 ->
To make sure you are on the best tariff for gas and electricity
have it checked each month for free by signing up to the new service.

www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub
We can not be bothered to keep checking our this, that and the other, we just pay the bill and get on with life.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2013, 05:39 PM

I agree - life's too short to bother.
Yorkshireman100
west yorkshire
Yorkshireman100 is male  Yorkshireman100 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2013, 11:17 PM

Well Antibrow and Grumblewagon I have to look after the brass being in Yorkshire, I changed suppliers in December and am now well on course to save £150 in the coming year.

I can tell this because I know the exact amount of fuel I used in the year to December last and its cost and what I have used to date and its costing far less, and yes all recent increases have been taken into account.

There is a saying " a fool and is money is soon parted "
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2013, 04:39 PM

Well, I've heard it said that a Yorkshireman is like a Scotsman with his generosity removed When it comes to it, we can be both generous and canny.

And if a fool and his money are soon parted, then perhaps you'll tell us how they got together in the first place
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2013, 08:08 PM

Thank you Malcolm I check my energy provider regularly using Which switch
http://www.which.co.uk/switch/
and Energy Helpline http://www.energyhelpline.com/energy...FeXKtAodVGIAVA

...there is a list of approved comparison sites here..
http://www.consumerfocus.org.uk/get-...onfidence-code

I read my meter/pay monthly and keep a close eye on every penny I spend.

I am currently with OVO energy who pay me interest on any credit in my account and this is quite a sizable sum going into the winter
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire

14-02-2013, 10:55 AM

Well actually, I do check things from time to time, but I find that the savings I could potentially achieve are usually nowhere near what the ads. say.

This only applies to electricity as this area has no mains gas, so oil and solid fuel are bought locally at the best prices anyway.

Same thing with house & car insurance etc... you have a look once a year to see if you could make substantial savings, but for £10, it's not worth changing. As for saving £200 on your car insurance - that would be great - protected fully comp cost me less than that.

Sometimes you can get hung up with constant comparisons, switching accounts etc... but often it's simply not worth it.
spinner
yorkshire
spinner is female  spinner has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2013, 08:40 PM

Last year I switched energy supplier, car insurance and house insurance. It wasn't that much of a hassle. I used comparison sites, they do most of the work, really.

The only downside is the increase in those annoying cold calls wanting to do this that and the other, I suspect the comparison sites sell your info on.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top