Join for free
Reply
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
aitch's Avatar
aitch
Senior Member
aitch is offline
Wigan
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 188
aitch is male  aitch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
19-07-2011, 02:08 PM
11

Re: Energy Bills/switched power suppliers.

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
Is that British Gas price fix offer subject to paying an extra premium up front? or have I got it wrong?

I am sure I read that customers who wanted as price freeze had to pay for it, which all seems a bit odd.
No , but you do have to pay a premium if you either switch ar try to cancel
Reply With Quote
anniemuldoon's Avatar
anniemuldoon
Senior Member
anniemuldoon is offline
N Cumbria
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,862
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
19-07-2011, 03:10 PM
12

Re: Energy Bills/switched power suppliers.

I am not completely certain but I am sure Joe's father got free gas , free TV and Television when he was alive he lived in Roscommon Eire. Why dont pensioners get this service here.
Reply With Quote
Meg's Avatar
Meg
Supervisor
Meg is offline
Worcestershire, England
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 38,026
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
19-07-2011, 03:13 PM
13

Re: Energy Bills/switched power suppliers.

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
Is that British Gas price fix offer subject to paying an extra premium up front? or have I got it wrong?

I am sure I read that customers who wanted as price freeze had to pay for it, which all seems a bit odd.
Gosh Hammer , that doesn't sound a very good deal..

I don't have to pay a premium up front, I am not with BG though...
Reply With Quote
aitch's Avatar
aitch
Senior Member
aitch is offline
Wigan
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 188
aitch is male  aitch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
19-07-2011, 11:58 PM
14

Re: Energy Bills/switched power suppliers.

you dont have to pay any premium up front, but the price you stick with will be the price you pay when the rises come into force in August, then they are fixed for 18months, but if you want to leave the scheme , then you have to pay a severence premium.
Reply With Quote
Jem's Avatar
Jem
Chatterbox
Jem is offline
Dublin
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 16,731
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
20-07-2011, 12:14 PM
15

Re: Energy Bills/switched power suppliers.

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
I am not completely certain but I am sure Joe's father got free gas , free TV and Television when he was alive he lived in Roscommon Eire. Why dont pensioners get this service here.
Not free gas Annie, but an allowance off the Bill, I'm not sure but I think it's around 30% off. The TV license is free and so is travel on trains and busses for the over 66's.
Reply With Quote
merz
Chatterbox
merz is offline
Lancashire, UK
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,044
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
20-07-2011, 10:11 PM
16

Re: Energy Bills/switched power suppliers.

Originally Posted by aitch ->
I am with British Gas, and have been years, I'm not going to make excuses for it and I wont be changing, but here's the thing, yesterday I received my quarterly bill, with a letter stating that in August prices are going to rise substantially, and giving me a month to freeze my prices at today's rate till march 2013, if this letter goes out to everyone, and everyone took them up on the offer, what would be the point of raising prices, or do they know something we dont, is the energy regulator going to step in as they threatened to do last year, which resulted in a price drop, or what !! ???
Aitch, I've always been with British Gas, and received a letter from them today about the price increases. I have just re-read the letter and it offers to freeze prices until 2013, but will have to pay another 5% on top of the new rates that come into effect in August.

QUOTE FROM LETTER:

"You can fix your gas and electricity prices until 2013 by signing up to our new Price Promise March 2013.........
Given the volatile nature of energy prices and the current economic climate, this means to do this there is a 5% premium on top of our new standard tariff rates that come into effect from 18 August 2011"

I take it this means that electricity prices will rise by 16% plus 5%-total 21% increase, and gas prices will rise by 18% plus 5%-total 23% increase.

Not sure whether I will go for this or not-got to let them know before 18 August.....
Reply With Quote
Mags's Avatar
Mags
Supervisor
Mags is offline
South West UK
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 40,091
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
20-07-2011, 10:13 PM
17

Re: Energy Bills/switched power suppliers.

Originally Posted by merz ->
Aitch, I've always been with British Gas, and received a letter from them today about the price increases. I have just re-read the letter and it offers to freeze prices until 2013, but will have to pay another 5% on top of the new rates that come into effect in August.

QUOTE FROM LETTER:

"You can fix your gas and electricity prices until 2013 by signing up to our new Price Promise March 2013.........
Given the volatile nature of energy prices and the current economic climate, this means to do this there is a 5% premium on top of our new standard tariff rates that come into effect from 18 August 2011"

I take it this means that electricity prices will rise by 16% plus 5%-total 21% increase, and gas prices will rise by 18% plus 5%-total 23% increase.

Not sure whether I will go for this or not-got to let them know before 18 August.....
We received the same letter this morning Merz and took it to mean the same as you did.

We're not sure about it either, there always seems to be a catch somewhere.
Reply With Quote
merz
Chatterbox
merz is offline
Lancashire, UK
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,044
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
20-07-2011, 10:40 PM
18

Re: Energy Bills/switched power suppliers.

Originally Posted by Mags ->
We received the same letter this morning Merz and took it to mean the same as you did.

We're not sure about it either, there always seems to be a catch somewhere.
Works out at big increases doesn't it Mags? What I also thought was, if I go for the fixed price and there are no further increases (wishful thinking perhaps), then they will have made 5% profit from me on gas and electricity....
Reply With Quote
Mags's Avatar
Mags
Supervisor
Mags is offline
South West UK
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 40,091
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
20-07-2011, 10:44 PM
19

Re: Energy Bills/switched power suppliers.

Originally Posted by merz ->
Works out at big increases doesn't it Mags? What I also thought was, if I go for the fixed price and there are no further increases (wishful thinking perhaps), then they will have made 5% profit from me on gas and electricity....
Or by some miracle they reduce their prices (that's a laugh!) in that time, we would be the losers.....
Reply With Quote
Hammer
Senior Member
Hammer is offline
NW England.
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,384
Hammer is male 
 
20-07-2011, 10:47 PM
20

Re: Energy Bills/switched power suppliers.

Originally Posted by Mags ->
We received the same letter this morning Merz and took it to mean the same as you did.
We're not sure about it either, there always seems to be a catch somewhere.
That is what I was referring to Mags,
I understand it the same as Merz.
The 18% increase for gas is across the board. If you sign up for the fixed price tariff there is a loading of another 5% making a 23% increase.

If you then change or cancel the agreement you 'may'(will) incur a further charge.
The devil they say is in the detail but in this case it seems to have found a home in Centrica.

Still, these prices from British Gas and I daresay all the others will give you something that money cannot buy.........Poverty.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.