Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 04:09 AM

Joy Division

The legendary but sadly short-lived Manchester post-punk group Joy Division. Ian Curtis, Bernard Sumner, Peter Hook, Stven Morris.
Two wonderful, highly influential albums "Unknown Pleasures" and "Closer", three landmark singles.
Singer Ian Curtis took his own life in May 1980 and the band were no more. But what a legacy. The remnants of this remarkable band formed New Order in 1981 and eventually achieved worldwide success.
Post your comments and videos about Joy Division or New Order, but please stick to those two bands only, we don't need to digress into a swamp of other band's stuff. Thanks.

I've met bassist Peter Hook at a solo concert and by the sounds of his writing over three books about the bands he has been in, he has definitely lived the life of a stuggling rock musician.
Next May I'll be seeing his current band perform both Joy Division's albums in full on the 40th anniversary of Ian Curtis death. I'm very much looking forawrd to that event.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 07:39 AM

Re: Joy Division

OMG Floyd very morbid mate.
I hope you make it through till the end of the week without cutting your wrist's mate..

I always used to feel that way the first week back after a much needed mini break.

Here mate get jumping about and screaming that will soon get you back to normal..

d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 09:39 AM

A couple of mates had Closer back in the day ... was good, might play it again.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 12:44 PM

Yes well perhaps it is my state of mind at the moment causing me to want to play Joy Division...but that's my prerogative. Enjoying music not all about the hits. Sometimes it's just good to admire the quality and craftsmanship of a very talented band. Ian Curtis hung himself because his epilepsy had become unbearable to live with but this band would have been huge.
New Order carried on his legacy but steered the group in a pioneering dance-rock style.
It's all personal opinions of course but Joy Division have secured their reputation as probably the most inflential of all the bands coming out of the post-punk era. An astounding act who deserve their undoubted respect whether you understand their music or not.
Maybe some people should look more closely into the history of such acts before they are quick to dismiss them as sombre or depressing. There is far more to music than a jolly pop song. It's important to have to depth and meaning sometimes.
longfellow
Chatterbox
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Yes well perhaps it is my state of mind at the moment causing me to want to play Joy Division...but that's my prerogative. Enjoying music not all about the hits. Sometimes it's just good to admire the quality and craftsmanship of a very talented band. Ian Curtis hung himself because his epilepsy had become unbearable to live with but this band would have been huge.
New Order carried on his legacy but steered the group in a pioneering dance-rock style.
It's all personal opinions of course but Joy Division have secured their reputation as probably the most inflential of all the bands coming out of the post-punk era. An astounding act who deserve their undoubted respect whether you understand their music or not.
Maybe some people should look more closely into the history of such acts before they are quick to dismiss them as sombre or depressing. There is far more to music than a jolly pop song. It's important to have to depth and meaning sometimes.
And that has told you Longfellow..
Sorry mate just fooling around but obviously not at the right time.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

20-06-2019, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
And that has told you Longfellow..
Sorry mate just fooling around but obviously not at the right time.
No mate I didn't mean it like that. It's your own opinion, just a bit more info there about the band.

I'm not good right now and I'm taking a break from the forum. Had enough bud, sorry.
longfellow
Chatterbox

20-06-2019, 07:11 PM

Floyd I think you know me by now it's all tongue in cheek with me and don't worry mate I ain't taking a-fence maybe a gate but never offence..
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 11:14 PM

Hedging your bets with that one LF ?

I like Joy Divison but New Order not so much.
You've got the best of both with this one:

Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 11:36 PM

This isn't bad though.

Psmith
melbourne australia

21-06-2019, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
No mate I didn't mean it like that. It's your own opinion, just a bit more info there about the band.

I'm not good right now and I'm taking a break from the forum. Had enough bud, sorry.
You shouldn't take any notice of what is said on a message board,mate.So many get brave behind a keyboard that wouldn't say boo to a goose off it.(mind you,geese can be quite nasty)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top