Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2013, 01:28 PM

Re: Squashes

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Another update on my squashes .. we had 5 squashes, they were about fist size. Hubby lifted them off the soil and put some fibre matting for them to sit on.
Something pinched a big chunk of the fibre and ate 4 of the fruit
There are plenty of new flowers but I'm so bl**dy annoyed We were looking forward to trying them..I don't know if it's too late in the season for more squashes to develop.
Janela I hope you get more squashes.
I have decided gardening is a nightmare, if it is not one pest destroying things its another
I have just spent ages picking some strange caterpillars off the goosberries with tweezers not the usual green ones but brown ones with a white mohican hair cut.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2013, 03:36 PM

I have never grown squash, but I have grown pumpkins in the pst, so if it was me I would follow the growing of pumpkins Jan.
I know slugs love them, so maybe this is what is having a feast.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2013, 07:40 PM

Angie, I have a net over now .. a bit late, but nothing else is going to eat them

I don't think its slugs Arthur, and we have a few pellets round it. Besides, would they want the matting

Meg, I love your description of the caterpillars with white Mohican hair cuts
I've tried to find them but nothing yet.
Yes, gardening is a never ending battle but it keeps us busy.
Our lawn is looking the worst it has for years, but it will be a bowling green next year
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2013, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Angie, I have a net over now .. a bit late, but nothing else is going to eat them

I don't think its slugs Arthur, and we have a few pellets round it. Besides, would they want the matting

Meg, I love your description of the caterpillars with white Mohican hair cuts
I've tried to find them but nothing yet.
Yes, gardening is a never ending battle but it keeps us busy.
Our lawn is looking the worst it has for years, but it will be a bowling green next year
Do let me know your plan of campaign. Ours is in a terrible state too!
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2013, 10:22 PM

We have started our campaign on the lawn
(well, hubby has )

He has scarified the life out of it for two days!
Then he aerated it.
He has mowed it, mostly to suck up all the stuff left by the scarifying. (he filled a tonny bag )
It was watered tonight, Saturday we will weed and feed, then in a couple of weeks, when it has revived a bit he says he will give it a seaweed feed.

By spring we will have a bowling green

He is confident, that his lawn will be the envy of the neighbours again.

Oh yes, I have a lovely yellow squash - but I don't know when it is supposed to be picked

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top