Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 11:12 AM

Re: Is The RSPCA Still A Worthy Charity?

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Like them or not, the RSPCA are the animals police force, they are the only organised agency going round who can save animals.
They clear the streets and countryside of sick and stray animals.
I would like to know what you think we would do without them.
They no longer deal with strays from what we hear, they scare perfectly good animal owners with their high handed attitudes, their idea of cruelty is far removed from many of us and they let animals suffer all the time, they pay a lot of charitable donations to their upper echelons instead of using it to help animals and their disproportionate ability to fund raise keep smaller rescues poor so possibly better without them.

Oh and lets not forget how many people they have hounded until they commit suicide over the years.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 11:28 AM

What a load of tosh!
I give up, and I will pass your thoughts to the RSPCA, for their comments!
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 11:34 AM

I agree with Julie, I'll never donate to RSPCA again.. I support our local animal welfare league as much as I can ..most of us in Australia ( i think?) would like to see the end of live cattle transport .. there's no need for it in this day and age.....those who wish to torture these animals for primitive religious purposes shouldn't be catered to ...and RSPCA is useless in the campaign against them
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 11:34 AM

You don't need to they are well aware of my thoughts on the way they behave. I have been investigated they failed to get into my home because despite you and them thinking of them selves as a police force they have no more right to enter a home than anyone else.
Sadly not everyone knows that.

http://www.the-shg.org/The%20Law%20a...he%20RSPCA.htm
billsteamshovel
Rural Australia
billsteamshovel is male 

01-09-2013, 11:39 AM

I was a fan of the RSPCA in Australia,but any reasonable person knows how money begets power,and,power corrupts!
I remember the head of RSPCA in Sydney was carpeted for not using donated properties meant to be sold,to look after and help animals, when it was found he was renting properties out for free ( top residential areas) to friends and family? no they are a business,just like the Catholic church and not a charity!
I copied this little snippet from 2012!

Quote.
The RSPCA is clearly under pressure in the 'animal welfare' market, with groups like Animals Australia, Peta, the Humane Society International and the WSPCA all competing in the Australian market for supporters and donations. Adopting high profile campaigns based on sensationalism and a strong media presence have brought some success to alternative organisations, and clearly this presents a challenge for the RSPCA. However, while abandoning objectivity and a science-backed approach may bring greater public support, it also throws into doubt the privileged status the RSPCA has enjoyed up until now in the animal welfare industry.

If the RSPCA truly wants to have an impact on animal welfare in Australia, the perhaps it should focus on issues that its own statistics highlight are the major source of animal cruelty in Australia. For example, in the most recent data published by the RSPCA, it identifies that of the more than 157,000 cases of lost or abandoned animals that the RSPCA dealt with, only around 2% involved animals other than dogs and cats, and more than 56,000 of these dogs and cats had to be euthenased.

Surely these statistics suggest it is time the RSPCA developed and promoted the implementation of mandatory animal welfare standards for owners of domestic cats and dogs in Australia, rather than focusing on the livestock farming sector, which has nowhere near the same reported level of animal welfare problems.

Such an approach would confirm that the RSPCA bases its campaigns on science, and not populism, but don't expect these standards to be announced or promoted any time soon!-Unquote

Billy
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I run a national breed specific dog welfare charity and I don't know a single person working in animal welfare who has a good word to say about the RSPCA.

Have heard this many, many times, MickB. It's not just about domestic pets either.
Every winter there are gipsy horses standing in water in the fields round here. They can't eat because their grazing is under water, and they can't lay down to rest, for the same reason. Last winter even my veteterinary surgery were worried because a big river had burst its banks and flooded a field badly, and there were fears the ponies would 'go down the rive'r. Still no RSPCA took them to safety.
Also, I was very angry a year or so ago, when a couple of RSPCA helpers were door knocking to ask for donations. They went to my Mother's house and she was quite happy to put some coins in their tin, but this wasn't good enough. They wanted her to sign up for a direct debit to donate reguarly. Fortunately my Mother, who is 88, refused, and still had the presence of mind to tell them where to go, but I thought it was appalling.
A friend of mine, who does donate reguarly by bank D/D , recently received a phone call from a very persistent "foot in the door type" salesman trying to get her to increase her D/D payments. She is already a generous donator. She said she couldn't get him off the phone and eventually told him if he didn't shut up and go away, she would stop her D/D altogether.
The way this charity sometimes behaves is totally wrong in my opinion, and does more harm than good.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 12:46 PM

Judging from the article and the above comments, it would seem that the RSPCA has, indeed, lost its way - I remember, as a child, they were completely trusted. I suppose they will have to decide what they value most in animal welfare: trust of the nation or money ...
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 12:49 PM

Yes they were trusted - I remember that, they were the 'main' charity ...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 01:06 PM

Yes, they were once Pats. Now we have the RSPCA, PDSA, Dogs Trust etc, and many more, let alone the thousands of small charities who are bursting at the seams and desperate for cash to continue.
Then there are the 'unknowns', like a wonderful friend of mine who takes in every waif and stray brought to her, that is in need of help and TLC, and pays for food and veterinary fees out of her own pocket. She has cats and dogs, birds, rabbits, squirrels, even 18 foxes! She would happily go without herself if the animals needed it more.
There are no doubt, others like her also, who do it entirely out of love and compassion for the animal world, with no financial rewards whatsoever, although I do realise not everybody would be in the position to be able to. Different people choose to do different things with their money, but they shouldn't be bullied into it.
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 01:12 PM

This is a timely discussion IMO, with the Home For Life advert on TV. It is of course a worry for older folk without family ..... who will look after my pets when I'm no longer able to. I myself worry about that but I've already decided NOT to go down the RSPCA route.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top