Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2015, 09:09 PM

Re: Losing gardening skills

I don't know what I'm doing right but my veggie garden has been quite a success this year

It's a mish mash of crooked rows, tomato plants toppling over from the weight, two successive plantings of beans and peas. Lots of good eating.

And my jealous neighbor called it a horticultural slum. I threw a tomato at him. He caught it and said it was his for lunch
opheila
North Jersey, US
opheila is female  opheila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2015, 09:54 PM

I work in a garden department and totally agree that gardening is becoming a lost art...right up there with sewing, handwriting, printed books...I don't want to live that long ya know?
But I spent all summer with customers who were mystified by simple plant care. They seemed to be otherwise bright but just no experience growing things. I watched my Dad labor in the yard for years so I know.
These poor souls would come up with a plant and need a careful explanation how to re-pot it to a larger container. Or the tomato people...step by step...you want to put it in a bigger pot, then a cage will hold it up, yes it is going to get big...I knew this stuff when I was ten.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2015, 12:16 PM

Such a shame gardening skills are being lost, particularly when so many of us love to sit out in the summer. I can't believe how many people are ignorant when it comes to plant identification.
Would anyone really believe that daffodils could be eaten? Makes you despair at times, it really does.
I remember reading somewhere that some folk believed ground nuts grew on trees !!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2015, 12:20 PM

Perhaps they thought the daffodils were onions.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2015, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Perhaps they thought the daffodils were onions.
....... or ask for a bunch of cauliflowers for someone's birthday
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2015, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
....... or ask for a bunch of cauliflowers for someone's birthday

That would certainly be a surprise for the unlucky recipient Mags.
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2015, 07:51 AM

The strong limbs needed for gardening may become weak with age but the love of growing things never leaves us. I satisfy my gardening lust by growing herbs and Fuchsias, in containers and hanging baskets just outside my kitchen door. So I am still growing something to eat and the Fuchsias are my favourite flower.
The fun came with finding uses for old things, I have two cut down dustbins, an old metal hatbox, a chimney pot and a grass box from a broken lawn mower. Not forgetting the pair of old gardening boots.

I laid out the main part of my garden as woodland, using shrubs, small trees and some bulbs, all of which take care of them selves and if I feel strong, I do a bit of pruning. I have one fir tree that smells beautiful when trimmed.

Help needed, can anyone suggest an aromatic plant for the winter please. I have a smelly neighbour, during the summer the honeysuckle and mint have coped but can you suggest something fragrant for the winter months
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2015, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Myth and Magic ->
Help needed, can anyone suggest an aromatic plant for the winter please. I have a smelly neighbour, during the summer the honeysuckle and mint have coped but can you suggest something fragrant for the winter months
Myth some herbs and plants stay fragrant through the winter, the problem is there is no heat from the sun to bring out the scent.
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2015, 10:22 AM

Thank you Meg. Perhaps in winter I will stuff my woolly 'at with herbs and the heat from my 'ead will make me smell all nice
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
...... Many young people today .... didn't even know what a Hoe looked like in surveys carried out.
We can thank American gangsta' hood slang for that.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top