Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2013, 02:01 AM

Car lights

My eyes are not particularly bad, so does anyone else have problems seeing some car indicators flashing if the sun is shining on the indicator glass?
Why can't manafacturers realise that a yellowish/orange glass doesn't show up in bright sunshine, but as soon as the vehicle drives through a shady area you realise he is signalling.
Now the nights are rapidly drawing in, I am also amazed at how many people are driving with only one headlight. I see it all the time.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2013, 02:09 AM

Re: Car lights

Funny you should say that. This afternoon whilst outside work having a smoke I noticed a few cars turning into the road I was on, but couldn't see their indicators until they were at a certain angle. Probably from behind I'd have seen them though.

The thing that amazes me most though is people driving around in rain without switching on their headlights, which is the law. Mindst, I've seen police cars driving around in heavy rain using only sidelights, so what can you do?

It's illegal to drive on sidelights, most especially in rain, snow, fog, or other over-cast conditions, but folk seem to think that if they only use sidelights instead of headlights that they're saving on their battery - daft bats!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2013, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->

The thing that amazes me most though is people driving around in rain without switching on their headlights, which is the law. Mindst, I've seen police cars driving around in heavy rain using only sidelights, so what can you do?

It's illegal to drive on sidelights, most especially in rain, snow, fog, or other over-cast conditions, but folk seem to think that if they only use sidelights instead of headlights that they're saving on their battery - daft bats!
I think sidelights are fine in bad weather or overcast conditions though not after dark obviously. My son's Holden ute gives him no choice; the lights come on automatically once the light gets below a certain level.

Actually you are saving petrol by using sidelights rather than headlights - not much but some - any energy use consumes petrol which is obviously the car's source of power.

When she was a P plater my daughter used to refuse to use her aircon no matter what the temperature because it slowed her car down! She doesn't now but I guess it has less effect on a 2.5 litre motor than her old 1.5ltr and of course these days they are electrically powered so more efficient anyway.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2013, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Funny you should say that. This afternoon whilst outside work having a smoke I noticed a few cars turning into the road I was on, but couldn't see their indicators until they were at a certain angle. Probably from behind I'd have seen them though.

The thing that amazes me most though is people driving around in rain without switching on their headlights, which is the law.
Then there's the twerps who do the oppisite and drive round with headlights plus fog lamps on when there's not a speck of fog to be seen.
What does play my eyes up is those awful ultra bright headlights with the blue tinge, I swear when those come towards me on full beam I'll end up in the ditch before long.
Those ultra bright lights shouldn't be legal.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2013, 11:57 AM

We used to have a Volvo no choice about head lights they just come on when you switch the car on. But I was (strange coincidence) as I came home today thinking I would start a thread "indicators are they optional? " so many don't bother to indicate their intention and just do what they want and some cars lights designs leave a lot to be desired these days as you can't see whether they are on or off !
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

31-08-2013, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We used to have a Volvo no choice about head lights they just come on when you switch the car on. But I was (strange coincidence) as I came home today thinking I would start a thread "indicators are they optional? " so many don't bother to indicate their intention and just do what they want and some cars lights designs leave a lot to be desired these days as you can't see whether they are on or off !

Know what you mean there Julie. It really annoys me when I am sitting waiting at a 'T' junction for a car to go past, and the idiot turns into the T junction instead of going past it. No signals - nothing. (At the risk of getting bombarded, it's nearly always male drivers)!
vivity
Perth Western Australia
vivity is female  vivity has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2013, 12:45 PM

So pleased to see some one else has the problem with the blue-tinged head lights I thought it was just me, are they even adjusted properly?
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 01:02 AM

Er .... no, indicators are not optional. They tell the driver behind and oncoming traffic what their intentions are.

Sadly, most of these are indeed male drivers whom, I believe, to be more arrogant than women drivers but, having said that, I've seen some daft females as well!

The blue-tinged headlights are also horrible as they are neither here nor there. To be honest, I'm not even sure that they're legal but of course, some cars are manufactured that way.

At one time there were cars with amber coloured headlights, but they seem to have disappeared now, as they can be very hard to see in bad weather.

Volvos are manufactured so that their headlights are on during the day and night, because that is the legal requirement in Sweden, so they can't be switched off.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I think sidelights are fine in bad weather or overcast conditions though not after dark obviously.
We have idiots that drive over the mountain in thick fog with only their sidelights on! Very dangerous. On the radio, I remember one presenter reminding people not to drive in thick fog over the mountain with only their sidelights on as, to do that, they 'might just as well strike a match'

They still do it though.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Then there's the twerps who do the oppisite and drive round with headlights plus fog lamps on when there's not a speck of fog to be seen.
And not turning their rear fog light off when another car comes up behind them!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top