Join for free
islandman
Dorset UK
islandman is male  islandman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2016, 09:32 AM

Seems odd this title?

Post your daily exercise? That is ironic (imo), because the more I sit using the internet, the stiffer I get. I am quite sure that my mobility is suffering due to the extended hours I sit almost motionless typing and reading. Does anyone else feel this is something that affects them?.

Some years ago,before my wife became disabled, she was the warden of a sheltered housing complex and one of the residents who happned to be the oldest, could often be found walking up and down the corridors whilst others were dozing in their chairs. Not only that, on bingo nights (where I was the caller), I could see her lifting her legs up & down, wriggling her ankles and whatever else she could think of. I once asked her what she was doing and she replied "keeping my joints going". So, maybe a lesson to be learnt here.

Use it or loose it, mobility that is.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2016, 09:38 AM

Re: Seems odd this title?

Hi Colin I would say all exercise is good and that includes exercising the brain by using the computer .

It is all about balance really , we need to exercise body and mind.

I walk every day whatever the weather even when I feel ill and have already walked a mile through the fields today. Once you stop 'moving' it is difficult to get going again .
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2016, 10:28 AM

I think you need to minimise the time you spend at your computer, as i know very well you can get lazy. Some days i feel tired and i think that is with reading and typing, you have to get up and walk around a bit even if its into the garden.. Also it could get dangerous if you sit in one position for a long while you here of people getting deep vein thrombosis and thats not good! So keep active!
islandman
Dorset UK
islandman is male  islandman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2016, 10:40 AM

Today for example is an exception. Builders are traipsing through the house and we are "stuck" in the lounge so short of having a doze, I'm surfing, but I know only too well, that once they have gone I will be out there fushing forward with my garden makeover. Tomorrow is another day, but Wednesday is an open-air market at Dorchester to soak up all the plant stalls................heaven.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2016, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by islandman ->
Post your daily exercise? That is ironic (imo), because the more I sit using the internet, the stiffer I get. I am quite sure that my mobility is suffering due to the extended hours I sit almost motionless typing and reading. Does anyone else feel this is something that affects them?.

Some years ago,before my wife became disabled, she was the warden of a sheltered housing complex and one of the residents who happned to be the oldest, could often be found walking up and down the corridors whilst others were dozing in their chairs. Not only that, on bingo nights (where I was the caller), I could see her lifting her legs up & down, wriggling her ankles and whatever else she could think of. I once asked her what she was doing and she replied "keeping my joints going". So, maybe a lesson to be learnt here.

Use it or loose it, mobility that is.
Absolutely true Islandman, I have got addicted to Over50's Forum and as I sit catching up with the latest comments over breakfast the time just flies by. You simply just don't realise how long you've been sat there. But it's always easier to take the path of least resistance in the winter when the house is warm and rain patters on the window. However, as the better weather arrives things are going to change!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2016, 12:20 PM

During the winter months I just keep ticking over but now the weather is picking up I'm more active. I've been out raking my garden and scattering Growmore this morning.
Rosey
Essex,UK
Rosey is female  Rosey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2016, 12:10 AM

As I have a little dog, I just have to go walking each day....
I also do Taoist Tai Chi.....at least twice a week, each class lasts two hours...I would recommend it to anyone, especially if you have arthritis.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top