Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2010, 03:33 PM

Re: Early earlies new potatoes

Fay-when I went up to University it was learn to cook or live on baked beans and mince. I had a couple of books including Katherine Whitehorn-every dog has some paws,food,food,sex and food.

And how right she was-buying a girl a burger at the latest rip off place was oK for rich kids. The poorer,smarter types like me got her round for a meal-and if at the end of the evening she left with a hug and a kiss she was satisfied.

Of course if I had those times again I would not only cook for her but also have a spare tooth brush and offer to iron her dress before she left in the morning. But those skills came later
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2010, 04:16 PM

First of all I'm sorry for sneaking into your gardening sanctum, but I would like to tell you a tale about a sack of spuds.
The wife had a 25kg. bag of potatoes delivered this morning and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw what was printed on the bag: P.J.Lee & Sons, Double Zero brand, Grown and Packed in Cambridgeshire. When I pointed out to her how unusual it was to get potatoes from England in Dublin, she said her veggy-man was swamped with requests for them, Mars Pipers, I think she called them,I told her she was mad, everybody knows there's no music on Mars. She said they are great for making chips...and she's right they are great. I wonder why our farmers can't grow the same, maybe it's the soil?.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2010, 04:33 PM

Jem-be very careful . I started to answer but my computer shut down and it`s only through encryped ways I am able to post.

your wife has slipped through a worm hole in space. But I have been there

Maris Piper was once picked by British workers and a good spud it was but a fault in the gene pool led to `yoofs` who were not able to pick due a genetic laziness.

These were replaced by workers from Eastern Europe who picked them-but times changed and soon nobody picked spuds.

Famine came upon Cambs and Lincs until this little probe landed in a disused American airforce base.

It was from Mars-little green buggars but worked hard and the potato was again a staple crop. They were jolly fellows who enjoyed a dance after a hard day in the field .

The potato was named after them-Mars Pipers
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2010, 04:51 PM

Love your explanation about the name 'Mars Pipers', it makes sense to the Wife and if it makes sense to her you pass with flying colours, I've been trying to for the past 44 years.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs

17-07-2010, 05:00 PM

My wife always tells me I have missed my vocation-joke replies and silly advertising slogans are just `there` before me.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2010, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Old git ->
My wife always tells me I have missed my vocation-joke replies and silly advertising slogans are just `there` before me.
OG, please don't ever lose your sense of humour!
Old git
West Deeping Lincs

17-07-2010, 07:01 PM

Me? lose it?.I once tried to kill myself-bloody train was late and I got bored sitting on a cold rail.

I tried to sue the railway company for non loss of life but they told me they could not guarantee the time table and to sod off before they sued me for trespass.

Hey ho-the tears of a clown
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2010, 08:26 PM

You brighten my day with your humor, OG!
Old git
West Deeping Lincs

17-07-2010, 09:31 PM

You brighten my day with your humor, OG!

That I consider a compliment-I play the fool and I think I have a sense of humour,albeit somewhat obscure at times. Life is a gift born into a world of nonsense-it`s laugh or cry.

I prefer to make folks laugh
FayRose
Devon, UK
FayRose is female  FayRose has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2010, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Old git ->
Fay-when I went up to University it was learn to cook or live on baked beans and mince
I LOVE baked beans and mince. If I'd come across a fella that dished up such a culinary yummy back in my student days, I'd probably still be with him now.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top