Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Eeyore
New Member!
Caerphilly, Wales
Eeyore is female 

30-01-2011, 01:41 PM

Re: Orchids

Dear Suey
Orchids are happier when they are pot bound. You can leave the stem on because sometimes the flowers start growing at the end of the stem. Just water it every 10 days or so in winter and every week in summer. But if the soil is moist just spray mist on it. Always use tepid water and prefereably filtered or at least boiled. I use the water from my fish tank because I am feeding as well.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2011, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by nero ->
Orchids thrive on neglect...
Are cats attracted to them? I've lost houseplants to nibbling/meddling felines and finally gave up on flowers or plants indoors.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2011, 08:42 PM

None of my cats have ever been interested in nibbling on orchids. Spider plants or small palms, yes. You can buy indoor grass that they enjoy eating if you have plant eaters .......
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2011, 09:08 PM

The Orchid I was given for Christmas I think desperatly needs repotting is there a special compost for them or do they cope ok in ordinary potting compost as mine is in a really tiny pot and is very rootbound?
Sue
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

30-05-2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by jacky001 ->
The orchids are flowers of exquisite beauty and variety of patterns belong to one of the largest family, the Orchidaceae .There are about 30,000 species in nearly 750 genera and more than 77,400 natural and man - made hybrids.

The orchids are worldwide in distribution with greater concentration in tropical and subtropical regions of high humidity. In India, they form 9% of our flora; nearly 1,300 species in 140 genera dwell in the country with Himalayas as their main habitat and others scattered in eastern and western ghats. In general, the terrestrial orchids are more common in North-Western India and the epiphytic ones in North-Eastern India; the orchids in Western Ghats are usually with small flowers.
Just a bit sad that instead of telling us all about your plants you have to copy and paste verbatim from other sites.
As indeed all your other posts thus far have done.

I wonder why you folks do this?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top