Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2011, 06:45 PM

Re: Runner Beans, (removing the tops )

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Your beans look better than ours this year Meg. We have some flowers, but no beanlets yet. I like the neat way you grow them in raised beds.
Hi Rena I took a risk of frost damage and put the beans in early surrounded by disposable clear plastic mugs cut/splayed at the top to give some frost and slug protection and it worked.

My neighbours beans are only a foot high I keep catching him glaring at mine.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2011, 06:58 PM

Plastic mugs - a good idea Meg. Your neighbour might be growing dwarfs - I dare you to ask him
We envy our neighbours veg growing ability. They grow a lot of stuff for the freezer - they even have fruit cages. I would think they must be largely self sufficient for many months of the year. We only grow beans - I llike flowers more than veg.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2011, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Plastic mugs - a good idea Meg. Your neighbour might be growing dwarfs - I dare you to ask him
We envy our neighbours veg growing ability. They grow a lot of stuff for the freezer - they even have fruit cages. I would think they must be largely self sufficient for many months of the year. We only grow beans - I llike flowers more than veg.
..I dare not ask him I know they aren't dwarf, he put them in very late.
I like flowers as well but living alone it is great to be able to go and get just a small quantity of veg at a time and to have them fresh
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2011, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
..I dare not ask him I know they aren't dwarf, he put them in very late.[B]
I like flowers as well but living alone it is great to be able to go and get just a small quantity of veg at a time and to have them fresh
I agree, Meg same here, been doing that for years and am going to miss it. What I like about growing your own is that you can find varieties not offered in the supermarket. I love borlotti beans, never see them in the supermarket and very very rarely at the farmers market.

Does anyone else like/grow shelling beans?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

28-06-2011, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
I agree, Meg same here, been doing that for years and am going to miss it. What I like about growing your own is that you can find varieties not offered in the supermarket. I love borlotti beans, never see them in the supermarket and very very rarely at the farmers market.

Does anyone else like/grow shelling beans?
Eileen are shelling bean what we call broad beans here ? Lots of people grow those. Not a favourite of mine unless picked very young and the inner rather bitter coating is removed. They are traditionally served with parsley sauce and ham
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2011, 11:53 PM

No, Meg. shelling beans are certain regular type beans that are allowed to stay on the plant till the beans are fully ripe, rather than eating the tender young pods. They're the type that are allowed to dry out and can be stored as dried beans tp be eaten in soups, etc. over Winter. Borlotti are a white bean with red speckles on it... delicious cooked and served with a drizzle of olive oil, a dash of balsamic vinegar and a grind of black peppercorns.

Broad beans aren't common or popular here in the States. or at least as far as I know. That bit about having to skin the bean if it's a bit mature kind of put me off trying them.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2011, 08:30 AM

Very neat and tidy Meg, the Runner beans look like wigwams which they are supposed to do.

I love lavender. We have Lavender at one end of the Garden and Honeysuckle at the othe end so when you walk through the garden the scents just flow with you.

Wow! Mighty large bra on the clothes line.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

29-06-2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Very neat and tidy Meg, the Runner beans look like wigwams which they are supposed to do.

I love lavender. We have Lavender at one end of the Garden and Honeysuckle at the othe end so when you walk through the garden the scents just flow with you.

Wow! Mighty large bra on the clothes line.
Thank you AB, I thought I would have wigwams for a change this year
The bed of lavender is under the sitting room window and the scent is heavenly in the evenings..

Don't think that's a bra, dreadful things I rarely wear one these days now I am a recluse (or trying to be one ).
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

29-06-2011, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Thank you AB, I thought I would have wigwams for a change this year
The bed of lavender is under the sitting room window and the scent is heavenly in the evenings..

Don't think that's a bra, dreadful things I rarely wear one these days now I am a recluse (or trying to be one ).
LOL. good to hear I'm not the only one, Meg! Not having to wear a bra most of the time is one of the joys of retirement.... never around the house, only if I'm going somewhere and will be seen!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

29-06-2011, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
No, Meg. shelling beans are certain regular type beans that are allowed to stay on the plant till the beans are fully ripe, rather than eating the tender young pods. They're the type that are allowed to dry out and can be stored as dried beans tp be eaten in soups, etc. over Winter. Borlotti are a white bean with red speckles on it... delicious cooked and served with a drizzle of olive oil, a dash of balsamic vinegar and a grind of black peppercorns.

Broad beans aren't common or popular here in the States. or at least as far as I know. That bit about having to skin the bean if it's a bit mature kind of put me off trying them.
Hi DM I have seen these in the plant catalogues and know people grow them. But when they are to be dried anyway, are readily available in the shops and space is scarce for many of us in the UK they are not a first choice crop for many I do buy them though from the heath food shops.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top