Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2010, 12:51 AM

Best flavoured Strawberries

I have decided to turn one of the raised beds over to strawberries because it seems impossible to buy decent flavoured ones these days, all the shops seem to stock is Elsanta .

I understand 'Cambridge Favourite' has a good flavour , can anyone recommend a good flavoured fruit .
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2010, 11:14 PM

Re: Best flavoured Strawberries

I've never tried growing strawberries (agree most of those in the supermarket are pretty tasteless!); If i were, I'd try Fraises du Bois (Alpine strawberry). the little wild variety which is supposed to be very delicious.

http://glallotments.co.uk/alpine.aspx
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2010, 11:50 PM

Here's another link that might be helpful if you want to grow the large fruited varieties:

http://britishfood.about.com/od/reci...strawberry.htm
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2010, 06:10 PM

Some of the old `Cambridge` varieties are still great for flavour. Where they miss out is in the `marketing` game as the fruit is not all one shape and their disease resistance can be lower than more modern varieties
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2010, 08:41 PM

Thank you both..
Originally Posted by dandysmo:-)m ->
I've never tried growing strawberries (agree most of those in the supermarket are pretty tasteless!); If i were, I'd try Fraises du Bois (Alpine strawberry). the little wild variety which is supposed to be very delicious.

http://glallotments.co.uk/alpine.aspx
They look nice don't they DM they don't fruit until August though and they are annuals so not ideal ..

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Here's another link that might be helpful if you want to grow the large fruited varieties:

http://britishfood.about.com/od/reci...strawberry.htm
I have looked at various websites and seedsmen but thought someone here might have experience of different varieties
Originally Posted by Old git ->
Some of the old `Cambridge` varieties are still great for flavour. Where they miss out is in the `marketing` game as the fruit is not all one shape and their disease resistance can be lower than more modern varieties
I don't care about the shape flavour is everything . When I was a little girl Dad used to grow the most amazing strawberries so they would have been one of the older varieties. I wish he was here to ask, I guess they could have been Cambridge which seem to have been widely grown years ago .
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2010, 09:59 PM

We have grown our own Strawberries since Noah was a lad and every year we cut out the third feelers and satrt again so our strawberries are not exactly variety as such but more home grown. They taste wonderful and are bountyful.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

31-12-2010, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
We have grown our own Strawberries since Noah was a lad and every year we cut out the third feelers and satrt again so our strawberries are not exactly variety as such but more home grown. They taste wonderful and are bountyful.
Hi Bob I don't suppose you can remember the original variety can you please ? I understand about re rooting the feelers and disgarding the old plants
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

03-07-2011, 09:20 PM

In the end I went for Cambridge Favourite and am just picking my first year crop.

I have to say taste wise I am a little disappointed in the flavour and wish now I had gone for the alpine variety.

When the three year growth period is up I think I will try Eileen's recommended alpine variety
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

03-07-2011, 10:39 PM

Meg, I've never had the pleasure of trying the Alpines, we only have the large rather tasteless ones in the supermarkets ... am going strictly on what I've read in gardening books, catalogues, etc. What a pity yours didn't live up to expectation.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

03-07-2011, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Meg, I've never had the pleasure of trying the Alpines, we only have the large rather tasteless ones in the supermarkets ... am going strictly on what I've read in gardening books, catalogues, etc. What a pity yours didn't live up to expectation.
Hi Eileen the ones I grew are equal to the one in the shops but none seem to have the intensity of taste they used to have years ago . Perhaps it is just me and I have a false memory of how they used to taste

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top