Join for free
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2011, 03:36 PM

Time to sow..?

I read today in the local paper that it is time to sow cabbage, onions and cauliflower.
Sow where?
Sow in what medium?
Do they need heat?
What temperature will they survive?
How do we grow them on without a check in growth?
Shouldn`t we leave it for another few weeks?
Does anyone else sow veg in the middle of a hard winter?
Is it me?
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2011, 04:20 PM

Re: Time to sow..?

In Barbados maybe.....
Or do they mean in the greenhouse? If so, it seems a bit daft as it`ll still be too cold to plant out when they`ve grown.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2011, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I read today in the local paper that it is time to sow cabbage, onions and cauliflower.
1. Sow where?
2. Sow in what medium?
3. Do they need heat?
4. What temperature will they survive?
5. How do we grow them on without a check in growth?
6. Shouldn`t we leave it for another few weeks?
7. Does anyone else sow veg in the middle of a hard winter?
8. Is it me?
1. I can't think they mean in open ground Plantman, but I don't grow much veg (the critters get it all)

2. They must mean in boxes and seed compost surely.

3. They have got to need heat at this time of year to start growing from seed. Does planting too early just waste the seed ?

4. I don't know if the seeds would survive - I would think not if they were in the open ground at this time of year.

5. I don't think seeds would even start to grow unless the weather was mild enough. If they surviived they would stay dormant until growing conditions were appropriate.

6. I think sewing in open ground should be left untl later (but then I don't grow much veg - if any from seed - although cabbage, onions and cauliflower are hardy (I think).

7. Is it worth even trying, unless you have plants hardy and established before Winter sets in?

8. Is what you? If you mean it seems daft then I agree, but I am not a veg expert.

Your name indicates you might be a keen gardener Plantman - perhaps you know better than I would. I prefer growing flowers and shrubs in my garden - I have a better chance with those
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2011, 05:37 PM

I never start my seeds until St. Patrick's day (indoors in pots), but they are all warm weather plants (tomatoes, chilis, basil), so are ready to set out on or about May 1st. I've never tried any of the ones you mentioned from seed, but it definitely seems a bit too early to me.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2011, 06:15 PM

It does depened on the verity but

Onion seeds should be planted begining of Jan

Brussles and Cabbage middle of Jan

Cauls the begining of Feb

All in seed trays in a cold frame
FayRose
Devon, UK
FayRose is female  FayRose has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2011, 06:23 PM

They can all be started now, depending on variety and in a draft free greenhouse. Also in particularly cold conditions we use a tiny greenhouse paraffin heater just to stop anything freezing and cover the seed trays with fleece over night.
Good luck
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2011, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Your name indicates you might be a keen gardener Plantman - perhaps you know better than I would. I prefer growing flowers and shrubs in my garden - I have a better chance with those
The "plantman" thing is a bit of a misnomer I`m afraid, I used to own a small construction plant hire business and I was known locally as "The Plantman".
I`m really a novice at veg growing but I was just amazed that it would be worth sowing anything at this time of year!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2011, 11:52 PM

Ahh that sort of Plantman - I had a mental image of you having a plant centre in the Sherwood area with big green fingers. I love my garden, but am not any sort of expert - most things are hit and miss. Our back garden has three big old oaks on the boundary which have tpo's on them. They are lovely, but it governs what you can and can't grow - so I have rhodedendrons and other acid loving plants along with forgiving perenials. Its still a battle against the critters though - its amazing what lives in and around an oak tree.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2011, 08:03 AM

Plantman, you can sow seed all year round as long as you make sure that you have the right conditions.

http://www.freegardeningplants.com/p...egetables.html

The sowing times are a rough guide, it depends on where you live. In the south the times tend to be 2/3 weeks earlier than in the north.

All seeds need heat beit sun or artificial.
As for temperatures, it depends on whether is is a ground or air temperature. Ground frost can kill of seeds very easily even when covered.

You can grow your own 'New Potatoes' for Christmas. Use a large tub or bucket and grow them in the greenhouse. Plant your tubers in late October and keep the tube protected from frost.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

07-01-2011, 07:50 PM

Thanks to all for various advice. If I can plough my way through the snow to the garden centre, which will probably be closed because of the frost, then I will buy a packet of seeds and maybe give it a whirl this month.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top