Join for free
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2011, 06:40 PM

Help

Any ideas why my Verbena leaves are falling off but new ones are growing and it has just flowered, What do you think Hammer?
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

06-06-2011, 11:24 PM

Re: Help

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
Any ideas why my Verbena leaves are falling off but new ones are growing and it has just flowered, What do you think Hammer?
I think it is a bad year for them in our part of the world Annie.
The ususal thing that gets Verbena is some sort of fungal disease. If your leaves are dropping but the plant is still growning it would not sound like a fungal infection to me at any rate.

The only thing I would suggest is make sure you have plenty of air round them so don't fall into the trap of planting them too close together.
They also seem to suffer if they get to much water late on at night. I always try and use a fine rose on them first thing in the morning. You could use a fungicide to help but I try not to.

I have lost a lot of my own recently that germinated and grew on very well. Because it went so cold here I delayed planting out and they were crammed into a very small space.

They went from being very fine healthy plants to a soggy mess within days. A lot of effort for nothing really

Sorry I could not be more help.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2011, 01:44 PM

Cold affects plants in ways that we don't often witness but this year's fluctuating temperatures may be the cause - ours are fine but barely in flower yet! stevmk2
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2011, 04:31 PM

Sorry just got the label out and itsViburnumrhytidophyllum.Is it any wonder I got the name wrong!
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

08-06-2011, 06:00 PM

Hi Annie, I think that viburnum is called a leatherleaf and I think my old dad had one, his was about 15 ft tall so I hope you have it under control.

I checked up on it and it is liable to lose some or all its leaves in a bad winter. From what I can see they are pretty tolerant in most situations so I would suggest removing any dropped leaves and cutting back any suspect branches but do not compost any of it.

It should recover well.

Hope this helps a little bit.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2011, 06:08 PM

We've lost many established plants since last winter including several viburnums of different types, and my wife is assuming they weren't able to withstand the incredibly low temperatures that we had. Even some replacements have died, which must have suffered the same damage at the nursery.......
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria

09-06-2011, 04:38 PM

It was partly shaded by a Butterfly bush which has also died, so if it does die I have decided on Hawthorn tree.... what do you think! Annie33

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top