Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2011, 10:51 PM

Wild Raspberries - how to take a cutting?

Taking Rocky for a walk today and noticed an elderly couple picking raspberries on our walk - walked past there a squillion times before but never noticed them

Anyway, got me thinking - could I take a cutting and plant it in my garden? I love the idea of wild/organic/non GM food growing in my garden (they're not as big as the one's you buy in the shops, but the taste makes up for it!)

Here's some photos - I picked a few and they tasted nice!

There were strawberries too - but I'm not so interested in them.

Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2011, 11:02 PM

Re: Wild Raspberries - how to take a cutting?

http://www.gardenguides.com/94645-pr...ry-plants.html

This should help Az.............
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

28-06-2011, 11:23 PM

You could try propagating some from stem cuttings.
Have a good look at the wild plants and keep away from any mildewy or weak looking stems.

The ideal donor would be the last 4 or 5 inches of a fairly strong but not too young cane. Take a few of these without decimating the plant and pot them up into a gritty peaty compost about a couple of inches deep. A vermiculite/peat mix works as well.

Best to keep them indoors and don't get them too damp, I found a fine sprayer misted over them every day worked best, until they rooted or died that was, it does not always work.
If they root ok plant them out in the spring.

The wild plants will usually put out suckers, if you can spot these and dig them up late on in the year and plant them immediately is another way of getting the goods. A sharp spade or a good blade will sever the sucker from the mother plant without too much grief.
Some say remove all the leaves off the sucker plant but in the wild they don't. It may be to counteract the shock of transplanting but if you take a large root ball it should not matter.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2011, 02:06 AM

Thanks guys!

Do I take the cut from the top? (I guess so?) total nube to this sort of stuff
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

30-06-2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Thanks guys!

Do I take the cut from the top? (I guess so?) total nube to this sort of stuff
Yes, the growing tip is best although I have heard that in the wild the tips grow into the ground to self propagate.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

30-06-2011, 03:47 PM

Thanks George!

Here's what I nabbed

Do I cut where the read arrows are and plant them in a pot each? (if so, when? now?)

Or could I cut at the blue arrows as well and have more?

Sorry to be such a nube
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

30-06-2011, 07:48 PM

Hi Azz,
It is a little difficult to say from the picture as I am not sure how big the cuttings are.

Success rate depends on how soon from taking them to planting them you can manage as the longer they are drying out the less chance of rooting.

From what I can see I would suggest discarding the left cutting completely.

I reckon you could get 5 out of the one on the right.
Take the four where you have the red arrows but only use the green wood not the brown stem. Take the last one from the main growing tip which still looks quite young.

With the cuttings all removed from the main stem carefully tear off the bottom leaf stem of every cutting to form a sort of heel.

Plant all these cuttings immediately into the gritty compost.
If these have dried out you could always revisit the site.
Anyway, you should get them all in a 4 inch pot, place them around the outside.
Keep them moist as I said earlier and hope for good fortune.
If they don't take keep trying, there is always next year.

Hope this helps a little.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

01-07-2011, 12:10 AM

Thanks George - I have cut them and put them in water for now, but will get some fresh cuts another day when I've got the pots ready (and maybe pop these in the garden and hope for the best lol).

Thanks again for your help!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

01-07-2011, 11:40 PM

I took some more cuttings today - but as I didn't have any pots sorted I just went ahead and planted them in the garden... and will hope for the best

Do they have any chance of growing?
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2011, 12:42 PM

Just dig up a bit of the root.

Not sure of the time of year to do it but would think early spring.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top