Join for free
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

30-06-2011, 03:33 PM

Aphid Control.

If you are not happy spraying chemicals on your prize plants here is an alternative that I have tried for a while and found it works on greenflies, blackflies and whiteflies.

It may work on other unwanted pests such as Man United fans but I have yet to try it.

The best thing about it is that other good garden insects such as Lacewings, Bees and Ladybirds are not affected by the treatment.

At the first sign of any infestation, fill a hand sprayer with a litre of clean water and add two drops of Lavender essential oil and two drops of washing up liquid. You can also add two drops of Tea Tree essential oil which I have found helpful in controlling fungal infections such as powdery mildew.
It is important that the quantities are not exceeded.

Shake the container well and spray the affected plants to run off.
Do not leave any unused mixture in the sprayer and wash it out thoroughly as the oils can and will melt a plastic container despite the small amounts used.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2011, 05:14 PM

Re: Aphid Control.

Thank you for that Hammer - I've heard of the washing up liquid method, but not lavender and tea tree oil in the mixture. I'll give it a go - the little blighters are out in force at the moment and I really should blast them.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2011, 05:37 PM

Hi Hammer I have used a similar spray myself with some success. I understand the washing up liquid breaks the surface tension in some way allowing the other properties of the preparation to cling to the leaves of the plant and the aphids. I have also used 'garlic oil' on some pests
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

30-06-2011, 06:16 PM

I tried just the soapy treatment for a while but it never seemed to last long for me.
The addition of the essential oils seems to do the trick.

The outbreak of whitefly on the beech and hawthorn Bonsai was always a huge problem but it seems more under control since we have used the latest concoction.

The addition of the Tea Tree oil has also gotton on top of the powdery mildew we got with the oak bonsai.

I think perhaps it is a case of what works best for you.
My old man would rotate in his box if he could see some of the strokes I have pulled whilst working in the garden.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
I tried just the soapy treatment for a while but it never seemed to last long for me.
The addition of the essential oils seems to do the trick.

The outbreak of whitefly on the beech and hawthorn Bonsai was always a huge problem but it seems more under control since we have used the latest concoction.

The addition of the Tea Tree oil has also gotton on top of the powdery mildew we got with the oak bonsai.

I think perhaps it is a case of what works best for you.
My old man would rotate in his box if he could see some of the strokes I have pulled whilst working in the garden.
Hammer I have used Lavender oil but not Tea tree , I will try that next year on the goosberry sawfly lava along with my tweezers and boiling water .
I don't like and won't use chemicals with pets and babies using the garden.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top