Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2011, 01:24 PM

Please help ID these....

These are in my garden and I have no idea what they are. I particularly like the tree and its bark is absolutely shining like a new penny but I just cant decide what it is.. Thank you
No. 1

No. 2

No. 3

No. 4

No. 5
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2011, 01:49 PM

Re: Please help ID these....

1 some kind of birch?
2 ceanothus
3/5 Hypericum (St Johns Wort)
4 I have in my garden but the name escapes me at the moment
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2011, 02:02 PM

Cassie not sure if you mean the other plant in no 5 with variegated yellow leaves, that is Euonymus.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2011, 02:02 PM

Thanks Meg.. so 3 & 5 are the same? because the flowers are different... I think.. lol I'm in and out studying them again!
I almost mentioned the Silver Birch as being among my favourite trees, im curious now that the bronzey barked one is another variety
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

05-07-2011, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Cassie ->
Thanks Mags.. so 3 & 5 are the same? because the flowers are different... I think.. lol I'm in and out studying them again!
I almost mentioned the Silver Birch as being among my favourite trees, im curious now that the bronzey barked one is another variety
Cassie I could be very wrong about the tree
yes 3 and 5 look the save to me ..
Cassie
West Wales

05-07-2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Cassie not sure if you mean the other plant in no 5 with variegated yellow leaves, that is Euonymus.
No I did mean the yellow flower. The stamens on no.5 are significantly longer than on No.3 so perhaps its the same but they've not flowered at the same time.. as you can see No.3 is somewhat tattier than No.5 lol
Thanks for the info about the Euonymus.. theres so many things in this garden that im unsure about.
Cassie
West Wales

05-07-2011, 02:16 PM

Well im going to disagree after all that lol they are most definately not the same plant!!! Here's a shot of them together..
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2011, 03:20 PM

I'd like to know what no 5. is too, we have a lot of it and it spreads well.
Lovely garden Cassie
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2011, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Cassie ->
Well im going to disagree after all that lol they are most definately not the same plant!!! Here's a shot of them together..
I think they are probably both hypericums (St John's Wort) Cassie - there are a few different varieties. There is one which grows more as a bush with a bigger flower and another variety which is more creepy with spreading runners. They are good plants and easy to keep - just trim them up when they get too big.
Cassie
West Wales

05-07-2011, 06:43 PM

Yes one is more of a bush and t'other is leggier! St. Johns wort it is then lol
Ok any offers on a name for No. 4?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top