Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2014, 09:04 AM

Re: a rare treat

Drink wise a fine Cognac, something to savor at leisure. I do like Cantonese food, but a traditional Christmas dinner is hard to beat.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2014, 10:29 AM

Food and drink wise, what do you consider a rare treat. Something you can't always afford, or you know is bad for your diet?
I can't really think of anything and there is nothing I can't afford because my tastes are simple these days .

Strangely the foods I enjoy most are healthy too, I am not a great lover of chocolate and cakes preferring fruit and nuts and they are part of my daily diet so not a treat.

I have gone off wine and rarely drink it now.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2014, 10:41 AM

I sort of feel the same way as Meg. I struggle to eat in restaurants where the very filling and heavy food doesn't appeal.
I haven't eaten steak for about 30 years and I can't manage roast dinners either, it's the same with anything with a cream or cheese sauce. I am awake all night with indigestion.
My treat that I buy myself occasionally is a pot of mixed olives with feta to snack on. I find myself enjoying Mediterranean type stews with a tomato sauce with a dash of white wine and I made a veg aubergine, tomato and Parmesan bake a little while ago which was filling and delicious without being too heavy.
I do like a glass of champagne as a treat and I don't usually say no to a G&T with a slice of lemon.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2014, 12:58 PM

Good old fish and chips - can't beat it, out in the fresh air, a sea breeze blowing all the grease in my hair, salt and vinegar flying everywhere!! love it..
All those calories and fat, yikes!! It really is a rare treat...
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2014, 01:00 PM

Fish and chips is definitely a treat. I only get them from the chippy once in a while. It's too expensive and fattening. But a wee treat now and again doesn't do any harm
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2014, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
Fish and chips is definitely a treat. I only get them from the chippy once in a while. It's too expensive and fattening. But a wee treat now and again doesn't do any harm
I love the thought of fish and chips but find they are nearly always a disappointment these days .

There is a place in Pembrokeshire that does lovely fish and chips but last time I went there they were a let down too..
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2014, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I love the thought of fish and chips but find they are nearly always a disappointment these days .

There is a place in Pembrokeshire that does lovely fish and chips but last time I went there they were a let down too..
Meg, there's a chippy round the corner from me, which I wouldn't use. They are disappointing and even dearer. There's a chippy a mile away, which has been there for years, and their fish and chips are delicious. I use them once in a while. I've never been disappointed. You can buy a small fish supper too, which makes a difference to your pocket and appetite.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2014, 01:26 PM

I've had some that were disappointing but there are a couple of places that we use when we are in Norfolk that are still worth the money - not cheap nowadays.
There's one round the corner from where we live, lovely crispy, creamy, flaky cod... but the chips are the worst for miles.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top