Join for free
Page 52 of 87 « First < 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 > Last »
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 10:02 AM

Re: Random question thread

Nobody has answered EZ's question!

So I will.

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->

Have you ever had a serious house fire?
Well, I used to have fires in my living room grate, but they were quite humorous fires, really, and not serious at all; in fact, at times they were really flippant!
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->

Who invented the Microwave oven?
Someone who didn't have a very large wave.

Which has the greater number of ants...... ants in your pants, or ants on the dec(k)s?
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
Someone who didn't have a very large wave.

Which has the greater number of ants...... ants in your pants, or ants on the dec(k)s?
In 1946, the engineer Dr Percy LeBaron Spencer, who worked for the Raytheon Corporation, was working on magnetrons. One day at work, he had a candy bar in his pocket and found that it had melted. He realized that the microwaves he was working with had caused it to melt. Hence the invention of the microwave oven.

Ants on the deck, my pants are only small.

Who invented the telescope?
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 10:19 PM

In 1946, the engineer Dr Percy LeBaron Spencer, who worked for the Raytheon Corporation, was working on magnetrons. One day at work, he had a candy bar in his pocket and found that it had melted. He realized that the microwaves he was working with had caused it to melt. Hence the invention of the microwave oven.

Ants on the deck, my pants are only small.

Who invented the telescope?
Mr Newton, which inspired the comment that "I would need to be standing on the shoulders of giants to see further"?

… or was it Mr Scope?
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 10:26 PM

It could well have been Mr Scope

Was his first name Perry?
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 11:55 PM

Have you ever had a serious house fire?[/QUOTE]

No.

I have however been involved in a few serious fires, but not in my house.

I used to test jet engines for a living and occasionally they would catch fire. A few were inside the engine and although difficult to put out, they were contained and no risk to life or limb.

I did have one though where the main fuel feed pipe broke and the fuel pump just went Wheeeeeee, nothing to pump against, and spewed several hundred litres of kerosene around that then caught fire.
We had to evacuate the building by crossing a flat roof as the fire passed underneath us, then climbing down an external metal escape ladder. What fun!

I called the fire brigade who first drove around the manufactory on the opposite side of the airfield where we were working, then drove around the airport adjacent to where we were located, before driving past the test site, ignoring the two huge plumes of thick black smoke we had produced.

The Police had been and gone, having decided they should investigate two huge plumes of black smoke but left when I informed them that nobody was hurt. I thanked them anyway for their due diligence and concern for public safety and they left when we old them the Fire Brigade were visibly on their way.

We eventually managed to flag down the fire engine and they finally turned round and came to investigate.
When I first told them I thought we had perhaps experienced a titanium fire, the chappy in charge of the appliance blanched a little and said, that's like magnesium isn't it, and when I said yes he called for a more senior ossifer.

When he arrived and suited up and ran the back of his hand over the test chamber door, I asked him what he was doing and he said, well sir if the fire is still burning the door will be hot.
I pointed out that it was a blast door over 250mm thick, and doubted whether it would be hot on this side at all.

Eventually the door was breached only to find that we had already put the fire out by hitting the fire extinguishers that flooded the test cell with C02, but we just hadn't known it.

When I returned to my normal place of work, I accepted the accolades, promotion, and increase in pay befitting someone who had not only destroyed several million pounds of company hardware, but also the only person in my company's history who has managed to torch somebody else's test facility.

I have just been reminded that I should ask a question.

Who invented the food processor?
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2019, 12:00 AM

Wow Fruity, that is truly what this thread needed. xxxx

You forgot to leave a question though.

I have never had a house fire, my close friend did, she lost everything.

Who discovered penicillin?
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera

10-02-2019, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
It could well have been Mr Scope

Was his first name Perry?
Or was it his brother, Telly?
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera

10-02-2019, 12:08 AM

Wow Fruity, that is truly what this thread needed. xxxx

You forgot to leave a question though.

I have never had a house fire, my close friend did, she lost everything.

Who discovered penicillin?

A soldier eating a furry banana after visiting a house of ill repute.

I have amended my post accordingly.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

10-02-2019, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
A soldier earing a furry banana after visiting a house of ill repute.

I have amended my post accordingly.
Mmm I will fetch Besso.

Page 52 of 87 « First < 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top