Join for free
Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2019, 01:27 PM

Re: You're So Vain

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
mental illness?...off topic,I will start a thread about it.
Good idea, I think there will be plenty of interesting inputs and reponses. Former poster MKJ (or was it MJK can't remmeber) was big on the subject.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2019, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Correct Tachyon, but note I DID label all 3 pictures under the heading of "Steroid/Synthol Freaks".
I noticed, but I thought I'd mention it in a reply to another post in case the person thought they were genuine. I also think it's some sort of mental disorder that makes them do it, posssibly body dysmorphia. Just my layman theory though.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2019, 06:07 PM

I’m not sure it can be classed as a mental illness.
I would say, it’s more of a vanity thing or the desire to be perfect.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2019, 06:18 PM

I think it's like anorexia, what they see in the mirror is not what others see.
At first they just want to improve their looks but each time they try a bit more and a bit more.
That's my opinion anyway.
Some could be narcissistic but, I think those would see perfection.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 09:33 AM

[QUOTE=TessA;1674250]I think it's like anorexia, what they see in the mirror is not what others see.
At first they just want to improve their looks but each time they try a bit more and a bit more.
That's my opinion anyway.

Totally agree on this,Tessa.i think the other name is,body dysmorphia disorder.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Some could be narcissistic but, I think those would see perfection.
Narcissistic Personality Disorder

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/m...-disorder.htm/

Traits:

Grandiose sense of self-importance
Lives in a fantasy world that supports their delusions of grandeur
Needs constant praise and admiration
Sense of entitlement
Exploits others without guilt or shame
Frequently demeans, intimidates, bullies, or belittles others

I suppose you're right some could fit that description

Body Dysmorphia disorder

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20353938

Traits:

•Being extremely preoccupied with a perceived flaw in appearance that to others can't be seen or appears minor
•Strong belief that you have a defect in your appearance that makes you ugly or deformed
•Belief that others take special notice of your appearance in a negative way or mock you
•Engaging in behaviors aimed at fixing or hiding the perceived flaw that are difficult to resist or control, such as frequently checking the mirror, grooming or skin picking
•Attempting to hide perceived flaws with styling, makeup or clothes
•Constantly comparing your appearance with others
•Always seeking reassurance about your appearance from others
•Having perfectionist tendencies
•Seeking frequent cosmetic procedures with little satisfaction
•Avoiding social situations
•Being so preoccupied with appearance that it causes major distress or problems in your social life, work, school or other areas of functioning

Not quite seeing the same kind of match here. I don't recall ever hearing fitness fanatics complaining about specific flaws.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

01-04-2019, 03:52 PM

This is probably the one you folks are thinking about . . .

Muscle dysmorphia

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18759381

"Muscle dysmorphia is an emerging condition that primarily affects male bodybuilders. Such individuals obsess about being inadequately muscular. Compulsions include spending hours in the gym, squandering excessive amounts of money on ineffectual sports supplements, abnormal eating patterns or even substance abuse. In this essay, I illustrate the features of muscle dysmorphia by employing the first-person account of a male bodybuilder afflicted by this condition. I briefly outline the history of bodybuilding and examine whether the growth of this sport is linked to a growing concern with body image amongst males. I suggest that muscle dysmorphia may be a new expression of a common pathology shared with the eating disorders"

https://www.depressionalliance.org/muscle-dysmorphia/

"Here are some signs of Muscle Dysmorphia or Bigorexia:

» Obsessing about one’s body image (feeling that one’s muscles are underdeveloped)
» Lifting weights for long hours
» Excessive focus on dieting and protein intake
» Frequently passing up social or work obligations due to a compulsive need to work out or diet
» Weight lifting or exercising despite muscle soreness or injury
» Constantly criticizing one’s physique
» Experiences extreme anxiety in the event of missing a workout
» Excessive use of protein supplements
» Over-exerting oneself to build muscle mass
» Steroid or muscle-building substance abuse
» Significant distress or mood swings
» Often other body concerns, hair, skin, penis size

I guess with Carol Vorderman we're talking about a completely different type of issue. Is it just desperation to get TV limelight, or does she harbour deep inferiority complexes as a result of no longer being the sweetheart of daytime quiz TV?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

03-04-2019, 11:56 AM

Here's the price of vanity I guess

12 pictures of celebrities who went for lots of cosmetic surgery. Now looking like freaks.

The one that strikes me as the most sad is perhaps Pricilla Presley. How beautiful she was . . .

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/cel...y-disasters/1/

Hollywood is a terrible place if it has this affect on people's psyche
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2019, 02:10 PM

I can understand. I think I'm developing "face dysmorphia"
I was having my hair done (once a year thing) and looked at my face in the big mirror, which didn't look like I imagined I look in the little mirrors at home.
I got home and took a selfie to send to my daughter. It looked even worse! I'm thinking of wearing a bag over my head!
Hair much greyer, baggy chin, eye hoods, thin lips! Who is this woman?!!
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2019, 02:30 PM

I have a female friend who said that some mirrors are kind and some cruel and when she explained it I sort of understood what she was getting at.

Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top