Join for free
Page 12 of 24 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2019, 09:29 PM

Re: British Asians' Knowledge of Our "Popular Culture".

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I think I can feel a poll coming on!

People could pm me with the name(s) of who they consider to be "popular" as in Noel Edmonds, and then everyone could vote for those they'd never heard of!!
Can we vote for members of the political forum of a certain well-known social website, Ruthio?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2019, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
It will be, tomorrow.
If we're lucky
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

30-05-2019, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I have never discussed him with them .
My friends aren't so trivial .
Noel Edmonds is a very wealthy and intelligent man actually, Muddy. He's done well for himself with many properties, various franchises and a helicopter business.
He's not my favourite TV personality by a long way but he is/was one of the most popular of the past 40 years. I'm sure your friends have heard of this "trivial" personality.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2019, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
I'm not saying you should. But did you know who Danny Baker is? Noel Edmunds? Did you know that Game of Thrones is a TV series?
Unfortunately yes in the case of Danny Baker and Noel Edmunds. Edmunds' head is so far up his own arse, that lump in his throat is his nose.

GoT - excellent series.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2019, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Noel Edmonds is a very wealthy and intelligent man actually, Muddy. He's done well for himself with many properties, various franchises and a helicopter business.
He's not my favourite TV personality by a long way but he is/was one of the most popular of the past 40 years. I'm sure your friends have heard of this "trivial" personality.
Wasn't he big in Crinkley Bottom??
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

31-05-2019, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Wasn't he big in Crinkley Bottom??
I believe so, Spitty. One of his more creative creations.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2019, 07:27 AM

It is a great regret, being to old to appreciate a Multi-Coloured Swap Shop.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2019, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Like I said, I will talk about such things to people where there is not much else to discuss (the weather?) or if I know they are interested in it and want to strike a rapport. But I have better things to talk to good friends about. I'd rather have a laugh than discuss a celebrity who is paid to make us laugh.

So if you asked me about half the pseudo celebs on tv these days I would not have a clue.
TO MAKE IT ABSOLUTELY CLEAR: I'm talking about being able to understand references when watching TV or listening to the radio. I am not suggesting you should be discussing these people or Game of Thrones yourself (I've never seen it myself). And I've never watched Noel Edmunds shows.

Geddit now!
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2019, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I have never discussed him with them .
My friends aren't so trivial .
Well this is your chance to ask them if they do know who Noel Edmunds is.

And you know what - they will ALL say "of course they ****ing know him, you plonker".

They'd be hard but fair.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2019, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
TO MAKE IT ABSOLUTELY CLEAR: I'm talking about being able to understand references when watching TV or listening to the radio. I am not suggesting you should be discussing these people or Game of Thrones yourself (I've never seen it myself). And I've never watched Noel Edmunds shows.

Geddit now!
I understand what you are talking about but you have used some strange examples of "British culture".

Nobody is going to be able to relate to everything on telly or the radio. If it's familiar to you then it stands out. If you have never heard of something the brain filters it out as irrelevant. That's why sometimes you come across a new word or read about a new person and then you think it's a coincidence that you hear something on the radio or tv. But in fact you've heard it before and your brain has ignored it.

We are bombarded with so much useless information that nobody can keep up. It's not a barometer of familiarity with culture.

What you were trying to say is that British asians don't make enough effort to integrate. But why should they? Did the British empire integrate Brits?

Page 12 of 24 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top