Join for free
Page 23 of 24 « First < 13 21 22 23 24 >
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2019, 05:09 PM

Re: British Asians' Knowledge of Our "Popular Culture".

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
He's not Asian but the black young man filling in for Storm on the J Vine Show hadn't even heard of Bruce Springsteen.

I know there will be some on here who haven't, but is hopping to make a career in broadcasting.
There are lots of people who have never heard of lots of people.

Anyway, I've just googled it ... Will Njobvu, Jr. he's black and Springsteen is old enough to be his grandfather.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2019, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
There are lots of people who have never heard of lots of people.

Anyway, I've just googled it ... Will Njobvu, Jr. he's black and Springsteen is old enough to be his grandfather.
Your point being?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2019, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by CoffeeCake ->
Gravitas, Your examples are strange to say the least. Why in heavens name would Romesh Ranganathan‘s mother who must be well into her sixties have heard of Game of Thrones? The Series was not exactly aimed at that demographic and was not shown on terrestrial tv.
Danny Baker? Not exactly a big star or popular culture in my opinion. I have never listened to his radio show. How does one pronounce Baddiel? Who knows and who cares?
Er excuse me why should a woman in her sixties NOT watch Game of Thrones ?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2019, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
Your point being?

Hey look Gravy ... it's a generation thing. Njobvu is a noughties music guru. And anyway Vine (arrogant demeaning old git) announced Njobvu had never heard of Springsteen until yesterday, laughs all round, then Njobvu said, on cue, he'd never listened to his music.

I haven't listened to his music either.

I was born in the U.S.A
I was born in the U.S.A
I was born in the U.S.A
I was born in the U.S.A

It's a bit tedious, once is enough, tbh.

Relax man.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2019, 08:38 PM

Gravitas, I think, the majority of people on here, will be picking up on the fact that you can’t spell hoping!
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2019, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Er excuse me why should a woman in her sixties NOT watch Game of Thrones ?
I'm older than she. Never watched it. Never will.

But I have heard of GOT countless times. And there is no reason why she shouldn't have either if she has any contact with the western world.

I edited "her" to "she" just to save a nit-picker from nit picking.
Gravitas
North England

17-08-2019, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Gravitas, I think, the majority of people on here, will be picking up on the fact that you can’t spell hoping!
I am sure they will be too polite to mention it. Not everyone is a nit picker, as it's a sign you have lost the argument.
Gravitas
North England

17-08-2019, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->

Hey look Gravy ... it's a generation thing. Njobvu is a noughties music guru. And anyway Vine (arrogant demeaning old git) announced Njobvu had never heard of Springsteen until yesterday, laughs all round, then Njobvu said, on cue, he'd never listened to his music.

I haven't listened to his music either.

I was born in the U.S.A
I was born in the U.S.A
I was born in the U.S.A
I was born in the U.S.A

It's a bit tedious, once is enough, tbh.

Relax man.
Let me explain. I don't listen to music. I don't listen to Coldplay. But I ****ing know OF them!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2019, 11:35 AM

What is British 'popular culture'?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2019, 12:17 PM

I've heard of Springsteen, he's good, but I don't think he's the Boss.

Page 23 of 24 « First < 13 21 22 23 24 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top