Join for free
Page 5 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 09:41 PM

Re: Paying for Social Care.

AFAIK there has never been a successful hypothecated tax in the UK.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Same as the NHS. Looks like the taxpayers of today are not paying enough.

Edited to add

Or, maybe as per Baz's links, in good years the money has been dibbed into and invested for other things.
Looks to me that the Welfare State is providing far too much. Cut Social Security (HATE the word "Benefits") to providing the bare minimum essentials ONLY. I've mentioned this before.

Bring in a modern version of the Houses of Industry and do away with this kids being better off with their parent/s rubbish. Sensitively run institutions Vs crap home life with crap parent/s has to be preferred.

That way motivate those in social bins to work their way out and up. It will do free up housing for those in need of housing who can afford them.

After all if one can't afford to live the way one wants then the right response is to live the way one CAN afford and work at increasing ones income to increase ones living standard. If there's no possibility of doing so then basically tough. Nobody ever said that life was fair.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 10:00 PM

Same as the NHS. Looks like the taxpayers of today are not paying enough.

Edited to add

Or, maybe as per Baz's links, in good years the money has been dibbed into and invested for other things. A bit like company pension contribution holidays??
It REALLY doesn't work like that. The SARB is NOTHING like a company pension scheme of a private insurance scheme. There is no pot of money to be "ribbed" into and do pension holiday could be taken. The UK has been running deficit budgets for years.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 10:02 PM

But AT if folks believe they, or the current generations, are paying,through their taxes, into a pot for old age, I don't think that is quite the same as being on benefits and not working. My thought is that we have not been paying enough or someone has had their fingers into it. If we all turned over to private insurance with defined "benefits" earmarked for certain things I think that would work. However, it should work, I think, if we all pay into a communal pot. There must be someone in these government departments who are capable of doing the forecasting and applying the maths.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
But, but, but! There were no previous claimants to be payed Todgy?
This was the beginning of OAP in the uk!
So what should have happened was for my and other prospective
pensioners hard earned money should have been left in an interest
bearing account somewhere untill such time came to start paying
some of the pensions,ncame! Meanwhilethe fundnshould have
grown somewhat should'nt it??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
There was never any pension ‘pot’
It’s was like pyramid selling .
Those at the bottom ( workers ) paid those at the top ( retirees)
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
It REALLY doesn't work like that. The SARB is NOTHING like a company pension scheme of a private insurance scheme. There is no pot of money to be "ribbed" into and do pension holiday could be taken. The UK has been running deficit budgets for years.
Save me a google.....SARB??
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

27-07-2020, 10:08 PM

But AT if folks believe they, or the current generations, are paying,through their taxes, into a pot for old age, I don't think that is quite the same as being on benefits and not working. My thought is that we have not been paying enough or someone has had their fingers into it. If we all turned over to private insurance with defined "benefits" earmarked for certain things I think that would work. However, it should work, I think, if we all pay into a communal pot. There must be someone in these government departments who are capable of doing the forecasting and applying the maths.
There IS no pot. There never has been a pot.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

27-07-2020, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Save me a google.....SARB??
State Age Related Benefit - despite what it's called it's NOT a pension. It's a Benefit.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

There IS no pot. There never has been a pot.
Correct. As said above, AFAIK there are no hypothecated taxes.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

State Age Related Benefit - despite what it's called it's NOT a pension. It's a Benefit.
Thanks ART.

Page 5 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top