Join for free
Page 26 of 26 « First < 16 24 25 26
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 12:44 PM

Re: Boris Johnson resigns.

Originally Posted by Realist ->

Point is the regulation DO mandate that bananas should not have abnormal curvature and that cucumbers must be almost perfectly straight to be able to put them in specific classes.

It's micro management gone loco.
No... The point is that what you said was just another Brexit myth regurgitated as if it were true.

If you read any food regulations from any country they would be just as prescriptive and taken by themselves absurd but what you originally said was just not true. You can squirm all you like.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
No... The point is that what you said was just another Brexit myth regurgitated as if it were true.

If you read any food regulations from any country they would be just as prescriptive and taken by themselves absurd but what you originally said was just not true. You can squirm all you like.
I have no need to squirm. The facts are in the EU directives which I have quoted verbatim and provided links to.

Bananas must not have abnormal curvature

Cucumbers (to be in any of the top classes) must have curvature of 1 in 10 or less.

Facts
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 01:52 PM

I have no need to squirm. The facts are in the EU directives which I have quoted verbatim and provided links to.

Grade1 bananas
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 02:10 PM

Cucumbers (to be in any of the top classes) must have curvature of 1 in 10 or less.

Facts
Sources: The Sun, Daily Mirror, Daily Mail, Daily Express (21 September 1994)

Myth: Curved bananas have been banned by Brussels bureaucrats, with shops ordered not to sell fruit which is too small or abnormally bent.

Truth: Yes … and no. Curved bananas have not been banned. In fact, as with the supposed banning of curved cucumbers, the Commission regulation classifies bananas according to quality and size for the sake of easing the trade of bananas internationally.

Not at all biased are you Mr Realist ?

Bananas must not be excessively curved. (The Sun, 4 March 1998, p6)

Bananas are classified according to quality and size for international trade. Individual governments and the industry have in the past had their own standards with the latter’s, in particular, being very stringent. The European Commission was asked by national agriculture ministers and the industry to draft legislation in this area. Following extensive consultation with the industry, the proposed quality standards were adopted by national ministers in Council in 1994.

FACTS

Page 26 of 26 « First < 16 24 25 26

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top