Join for free
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 09:11 PM

Hey there Old Man Winter

Will you be coming soon? I have a feeling you are just peeking around the corner and waiting for just the right time to blast us with a heavy blanket of snow, just to let us know, we better get ready for you...........

How do you people in the UK prepare for winter? Does it get real cold? Do you get a lot of snow?

Does the winter months bother you? Anybody ski?
Do you have to bundle up warm in parkas, etc? Or are your winter months fairly mild?

Tell me all about it....I'm interested. I love the winter myself, and this time of year, I enjoy going through my closets picking out the warm clothes I intend on wearing........January, Feb and March are out worst months. We are always hoping for snow in December and by the looks of things I think we will get it.....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 11:03 PM

Re: Hey there Old Man Winter

To say it happens every year - Winter always seems to take this country by surprise. Trains grind to halt because there the wrong kind of leaves or snow on the line. Hospitals are full of people with weird viruses that they are desperate to share. Food prices go up - either because the Summer was too hot and killed off half the crops - or - because the Summer was too wet and killed off half the crops. If it is too mild people complain it is not cold enough to kill off all the germs. If it is too cold they complain about the frost, ice, and fog - and the lack of proper gritting and when it snows the ploughs are always hibernating somewhere else.

In short, Blue, the answer to your question is - No!
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 09:40 AM

I am never prepared for winter,WB,I don't enjoy the cold,you get it far colder in Canda,than we do in the UK,..what's the coldest you've had it there?

The temperature dropped last night,so up went my storage heating setting,I keep meaning to buy some thermal under wear,..we have a lot more colder weather to come,..Brrrrr!.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I am never prepared for winter,WB,I don't enjoy the cold,you get it far colder in Canda,than we do in the UK,..what's the coldest you've had it there?

The temperature dropped last night,so up went my storage heating setting,I keep meaning to buy some thermal under wear,..we have a lot more colder weather to come,..Brrrrr!.

Pauline darlin' - 35 years ago, the company I then worked for, sent me to work in Siberia for 1 month - January 1983!!! Daytime temperatures were -35 oC and when the sun went down at around 15.00 so too did the temperature to -47 oC add the wind-chill to those and we were walking around in equivalent temperatures of -60 oC +.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Pauline darlin' - 35 years ago, the company I then worked for, sent me to work in Siberia for 1 month - January 1983!!! Daytime temperatures were -35 oC and when the sun went down at around 15.00 so too did the temperature to -47 oC add the wind-chill to those and we were walking around in equivalent temperatures of -60 oC +.

OMG!...what did you wear to keep warm?....a big Brrrrrrrr,UJ!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
OMG!...what did you wear to keep warm?....a big Brrrrrrrr,UJ!
Pauline darlin' - a pair of long johns, a pair of 'thermal' trousers and a ski suit. On top I wore a 'T' shirt, shirt, 'thermal' jumper, ski suit and a parka over that. I also wore a shapka too!!!

One of these (which I still have)

https://www.amazon.com/Russian-Sovie...R4G8B8SF7CFKVX

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top