Join for free
Page 196 of 370 « First < 96 146 186 194 195 196 197 198 206 246 296 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 01:53 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

OOPS! I almost forgot...

Ruthio - Nice to see you back in here. A bit of walking here and there certainly blows away the cobwebs. It keeps you fit plus it's getting some of that fresh air too, which is much needed as we approach the wilds of wintertime.

Suzie - Talking of wild and windy, you are definitely getting some hurricane-force winds out there aren't you? As long as everyone is careful and warm and the houses are secure I guess you can be assured that you'll be safe from any flying debris. Good to hear that it seemed to be subsiding as you closed your post though and maybe you got in that 6-miler or so you were itching to accomplish

Bob - Any updates mate? I hope you're free from injury - or perhaps just taking a rest for a while?

I'll be doing my weekend mammoth weights session this afternoon. Last night was looking after my granddaughter, so no training there but a nice meal out instead.
Anyway, I'm off to work that off me now, so I'll be back with the obligatory write-up soon.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 06:19 PM

This was more like it, my weekend session taking to the limits of my endurance with a full-on two-hour explosive and brutal workout. One of the best I’ve done recently in fact.

My usual mixture of free weights and machines with some really heavy work alternating between push and pull exercises. I did have plans to include the legs too but I’ll do those tomorrow when I’m feeling much fresher.

Saturday 8/9/18: Full upper body.
(All weights in kgs)

Lat pulldown, wide grip:
12x40, 12x50, 10x60

DB bench press:
8x30’s, 8x30’s
*Still got some niggling in both elbows which is hindering my advancement in weight with this exercise, but no worries.

Machine curls, both arms together:
10x35, 10x40, 10x45, 10x50
*Heavier than I would normally go on this machine. In fact I usually stall at 35kgs. The biceps were on great form today.

Shoulder press:
10x40, 10x60, 5x80
*Again, some bother with my elbows.

Seated row:
10x53, 10x59, 10x65

Decline bench, -15° angle:
15x50, 15x60, 8x70
25x40 c/g
*Really hits the lower chest, especially with the high rep set of close grip presses.
I’m loving this exercise, except for the rush of blood to my head when I sit back up again lol. Note to self: Must do that more slowly lol!

High-pull bicep cable pulls:
12x25, 12x30, 25x15
*Didn’t go very heavy on this today, preferring to really flex the biceps as I pulled the cables towards my shoulders for maximum peak. A couple of students actually stopped doing their tricep pulldowns next to me to watch and despite that being a little off-putting, I was pleased when they enquired “How did you get guns like that?” I always tell them I’ve been at it a long time, lol. I must have been doing something right all these years.

DB concentration curl, alt.:
6x16, 6x16
12x12
*The final set of 12 each arm were done with a 2-second “flex pause” at the top of the movement following 8, 10 and 12 rep points. This really made the biceps firm up.

Barbell forearm reverse curl:
8x20, 8x20

Bicep cable pull-up curls, alt.:
10x10, 10x10, 10x10, 10x10, 6x15
*Really tensing up the arms as I curled on the final few reps of each set with these.

Fly dec (delts setting):
15x95, 15x95, 15x95
25x80 high reps (bicep setting).
*Seat altered for each set – standard, low, high. This works all the areas of the delts and part of the inner shoulders. The final biceps set was done more like a pec dec but with arms outstretched, pulling inwards.

Single DB press “The Floydy Press”:
40x50, 30x50, 20x50, 10x50 = 100 reps.
*It’s been a helluva long time since I managed a full forty reps with the 50kg dumbbell on a set of these. Just goes to show that “total arms” session I did last week has really paid off. A hundred reps completed over four sets.

Barbell curl, seated bench 60°:
12x35, 12x35, 12x35
*A bit of a gamble today to up the barbell by 5kgs from my normal 30kg bar but the reps went up well. Really straining with the last set though and holding the weight at the top once more to solidify the muscles.

E-Z preacher curl, c/g:
10x38, 8x48
20x18
*Usually my favourite exercise but by now my arms had pretty well had it so I rounded things off with that high reps set.

Tricep extensions:
20x40, 50x25

With my programme now completed I looked at the clock but noticed I was about four minutes of the two-hour mark, so I added another exercise. Normally I’d do ab crunches, but they will continue tomorrow in a different higher rep set-up.

Rope pulldowns:
100x10 high reps
*A killer for the triceps, but oh boy were they bursting out!

2 hours.

Really enjoyed that although it tested my full energy levels of which were totally shot by the end.

As I mentioned I’ll be doing a legs workout tomorrow and then I have a three-week routine split into nine precise sessions which will take me to my next holiday at the end of this month.

I have seen some good improvements recently especially on my arms, which are much fuller-looking with some heavy muscle density – the biceps are actually staying pumped for much longer after my session. Also I think my chest has filled out too. I don’t believe I’m much stronger overall but that’s difficult to judge as I’m not really going for strength training that much.

One thing I am sure of though is that I have far more energy at work than I used to have and that’s a Godsend to be honest. My weight has stayed around the same at 16.5 stones throughout but I know that’s because I’ve added muscle but kept my weight down – though all that is also to do with my improved diet too, mainly what I eat at work. I can't complain really for a 53-y.o. with a session like that I guess!

Thanks for reading.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
OOPS!
Bob - Any updates mate? I hope you're free from injury - or perhaps just taking a rest for a while?
I'm here Floydy.... Reading mostly as it's been a busy week at Foxy's den.
I have, however, been running to schedule on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and enjoying the changing faces of nature at this transitional time of year. The three five mile outings did not produce anything to write home about (or blog about) but were non the less enjoyable, and although on some outings it was almost cold enough for gloves, I managed to avoid the rain.

Due to the success of last Sunday's eight mile run I decided to repeat the distance today and managed to cleave three minutes off last weeks time. Heavy rain clouds threatened as I turned out at six thirty, and I was in two minds whether to wear a waterproof top. I'm glad I didn't, it seemed quite a bit warmer than yesterday as I took my first steps outside, and by mile three the clouds had all blown away revealing a nice sunny morning.

Despite the fact that today's run was considerably faster than last weeks, and accepting the fact that I'm a lot older since I ran my last half marathon, I smiled as I stopped the watch after eight miles in a time that I would have been disappointed with over thirteen miles just a few years ago!....Old Age Sucks.....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

09-09-2018, 11:36 AM

...Old age sucks? So does post-middle age sometimes mate. Got out of bed just now feeling as stiff as an old board after yesterday's workout - and it's supposed to be doing us good?!

Only one thing for it: Get back to the gym and loosen up again I guess! A legs session and some stretching should do the trick.

Good to see you're still at it though Bob, despite the aches and pains
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 11:52 AM

...Old age sucks? So does post-middle age sometimes mate. Got out of bed just now feeling as stiff as an old board after yesterday's workout - and it's supposed to be doing us good?!

Only one thing for it: Get back to the gym and loosen up again I guess! A legs session and some stretching should do the trick.

Good to see you're still at it though Bob, despite the aches and pains
Thanks Floydy, I hope you can work off that muscle stiffness, I'm just going for a walk to get rid of those lactic acids before they shut me down....

Looks like we've got a newcomer to the thread, and a physio at that.....I hope she can make me young again....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

09-09-2018, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by CatherineFleming ->
Hi Friends, I'm new to this forum. I'm Catherine Fleming. I'm working as a Physiotherapist at Newyork, USA. You want to know more, click here:
Hi Catherine, pleased to meet you. You need to make a formal introduction in the Welcome thread ideally and one which sees you interested in actually joining the forum to converse with us all. Advertising your own company is not allowed as per forum rules.
Have a good day.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

09-09-2018, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks Floydy, I hope you can work off that muscle stiffness, I'm just going for a walk to get rid of those lactic acids before they shut me down....

Looks like we've got a newcomer to the thread, and a physio at that.....I hope she can make me young again....
We'll see, Bob. Bit hard to do via cyberspace though....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

09-09-2018, 12:06 PM

We'll see, Bob. Bit hard to do via cyberspace though....
Yer.....might be a bit pricey too.....
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 02:07 PM

What a good workout you had Floydy - wish I could shift that many kilos! I'm probably too old now, and I'm still trying out the capabilities of my ticker as I progress through my workouts. Touch wood my heartrate seems good when I check it mid-workout. Every time I check it I am around 75 a minute so i think I'm pretty safe there, and while I have a nice sweat on I am not out of breath. Maybe the weights will come with time.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

09-09-2018, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
What a good workout you had Floydy - wish I could shift that many kilos! I'm probably too old now, and I'm still trying out the capabilities of my ticker as I progress through my workouts. Touch wood my heartrate seems good when I check it mid-workout. Every time I check it I am around 75 a minute so i think I'm pretty safe there, and while I have a nice sweat on I am not out of breath. Maybe the weights will come with time.
Don't even consider going heavy, Tachyon if it's not your thing. It's just not worth it bud, it will bring on so many injuries. Stick with light and moderate weights will keep you in really fine shape just the same.

I do this because it's my style of exercising; I've always trained with heavy weights as I've trained as a bodybuilder most of my training life. i.e. my body is used to it. Plus, I don't go nearly as heavy as I used to in my "prime" as that isn't possible these days, but I'm feeling much better in myself with the weight keeping down and plenty of muscle still to keep the fitness levels going.

Do what you can mate, that's is all that is required and you're exercising which is a damn sight more than many people are doing and they will be more prone to health issues than you will be.

- - - - - - - - - -

A very short write-up for my legs workout today, not a lot of time to do too much but the thought was there.

Sunday 9/9/18: Legs.
(All weights in kgs)

Sled leg press:
50x100, 40x120, 30x150, 20x200
50x100

Seated ham curls:
10x40, 10x50, 10x60, 10x70
50x30

Incline press:
50x150

Extensions:
50x30

Adductor:
25x60

From next time and the following three weeks I’ll be combining some leg work into my usual routines. This will give me more scope to concentrate on a full body session, rather than having to leave a day free for legs. So, in effect my “holiday preparation training” begins on Tuesday.

Thanks for reading.

Page 196 of 370 « First < 96 146 186 194 195 196 197 198 206 246 296 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top