Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2018, 10:01 PM

slaughter free meat

I wasn't sure where to put this thread so I hope its ok in here.

I saw this news yesterday I hate to think of animals being slaughtered for our food so I think I would welcome this.

Would you?
Would vegetarians welcome this I wonder?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45865403
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2018, 10:10 PM

Re: slaughter free meat

I saw this article a few days ago and I thought what is the point? Some vegetarian meat-free vegetable based products are already available and are very much like the real thing. I bought myself some `No Porkies` sausages from Iceland to try and apart from being a bit softer in the middle than normal sausages they are a passable alternative. They also do `No Chicken` and `No Beef` products too. Think I'll try some of them next time as I'm trying to cut down my meat consumption.

https://groceries.iceland.co.uk/8-no...s-200g/p/74485

ETA: Have just noticed that they're made in France so perhaps I won't bother - don't want to be supporting their economy at the expense of ours.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2018, 10:18 PM

Of course if this catches on there will be no need for animals, no incentive to keep rare breeds. What's next, soylent green?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2018, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I saw this article a few days ago and I thought what is the point? Some vegetarian meat-free vegetable based products are already available and are very much like the real thing. I bought myself some `No Porkies` sausages from Iceland to try and apart from being a bit softer in the middle than normal sausages they are a passable alternative. They also do `No Chicken` and `No Beef` products too. Think I'll try some of them next time as I'm trying to cut down my meat consumption.

https://groceries.iceland.co.uk/8-no...s-200g/p/74485

ETA: Have just noticed that they're made in France so perhaps I won't bother - don't want to be supporting their economy at the expense of ours.
Good thinking, Judd, I would not buy anything that came from france anyway but certainly not food!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2018, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Of course if this catches on there will be no need for animals, no incentive to keep rare breeds. What's next, soylent green?
Precisely !
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2018, 11:11 PM

It's funny but veggies and vegans are against this. Perhaps it would destroy their identity. After all the movement is just as powerful as a religion. Strange that we prefer to stomach slaughtered animals over lab grown meat which has generated no cruelty. Is the suffering part of the appeal?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2018, 11:13 PM

re soylent green, wasn't it feeding dead animals to other animals that caused Cjd to pass to humans?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

18-10-2018, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
re soylent green, wasn't it feeding dead animals to other animals that caused Cjd to pass to humans?
Indeed it was - using products made from dead sheep/goats that had scrapie - a degenerative disorder that scrambles their nervous system.

Have you seen the film 'Soylent Green' ? Ahead of it's time and scary because we seem to be heading in that direction.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2018, 08:37 AM

Animals are there for human use, I have absolutely no problem in them being slaughtered for meat as long as it can be done with as little discomfort as possible.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2018, 10:08 AM

That's a very interesting article LQ.

I asked Mrs LD if she would eat it and she said said she wouldn't. I think she has gone without eating meat for so long now that it would probably have an adverse effect. I think I would be prepared to give it a try if it stopped animal suffering but of course, as with all these things, there is always a negative side. It will be some time before we know it is safe to eat.

Judd, try the Quorn Southern fried bites (frozen) they are great.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top