Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 05:27 AM

School Holidays.

Hi

They differ from area to area, which is a great problem if you live on the border between different ones.

This is especially a problem for single mums with two children at different schools.

It is time it was standardised.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 07:24 AM

Re: School Holidays.

Maybe they will shorten them, Swimmy...to make up for lost learning during lockdown?
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

12-07-2021, 07:48 AM

Our school holidays are standardised nationally here except for the winter sports holday week which has always been staggered according to which region you live in so that the Swedish ski resorts can accommodate everyone.

Schools broke up for the summer holidays early in June and they go back third week in August.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Maybe they will shorten them, Swimmy...to make up for lost learning during lockdown?
A good idea but can't really see the teaching unions agreeing to that, unfortunately.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->
A good idea but can't really see the teaching unions agreeing to that, unfortunately.
Hmmm, no, perhaps not. But if they broke them up evenly throughout the year? Instead of having a huge long summer break. But maybe that's just overly complicating things and making it difficult for working parents too. Its a conundrum.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

They differ from area to area, which is a great problem if you live on the border between different ones.

This is especially a problem for single mums with two children at different schools.

It is time it was standardised.

I wouldn't really give yourself something else to fret about Swim. It's not as if you have even got kids at school.
Leave it to the parents who have, I'd say.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 10:33 AM

Since most parents work school holidays a thing of joy for kids have turned into a logistical nightmare for parents .
Not to mention the price hike in holiday costs from last week in July to first week September !
Agree at least school holidays could be standardised.
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 03:43 PM

It must be a real struggle if both parents work, it's not everyone who has grandparents to help out
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

12-07-2021, 03:49 PM

When my two were at school, they had to attend a kind of out of school activity club during the holidays when myself and Mr P were at work. It was incredibly expensive and you had to provide the food as well as the expenses for any trips that were organised. A change of clothes was in order too, in case they went anywhere that could cause them to get dirty. Everything I earned went to fund that...it was difficult to see the point of working when I could have stayed at home with my children! But they enjoyed it, so....
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 03:50 PM

The reason for the long summer school holidays goes back to the time when the kids were needed to help get in the harvest.

I have long been a supporter of having 4, 11 week school terms with a 1 or 2 week break between each except for the summer break which would be 4 weeks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top