Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2013, 07:51 AM

Re: Nets or Blinds?

Blinds, it's an "Open and Shut Case".
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2013, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
When I bought this bungalow I asked for the Crime Prevention Officer to come and do an assessment. (Do they do that ?) After advising me on locks, safety chains, windows etc., he advised net curtains. I hate the things - but - I now have them at the sitting room and bedroom windows. The craft room has venetian blinds (the cats are never in there unaccompanied!) an everywhere else has very pretty frosted glass.
If I was a burglar/intruder I would love homes with nets or blinds.
You can't see me rifling your cupboards.
A neighbour of ours came home to find his home burglared, the thieves had drawn the blinds and opened the window, and put the TV on, everybody thought they had arrived home from work and they were at home.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2013, 08:03 PM

I'm guessing nets are what we call sheers here. I don't have any.. I have blinds in the bedrooms and in the living room I have drapes.. with a valance.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2013, 02:03 AM

Neither for me. I used to have nets, but hated them, and have never liked blinds.

I don't draw my curtains in at night so anyone who wants to look in is very welcome as I have nothing to hide.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2013, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
If I was a burglar/intruder I would love homes with nets or blinds.
You can't see me rifling your cupboards.
A neighbour of ours came home to find his home burglared, the thieves had drawn the blinds and opened the window, and put the TV on, everybody thought they had arrived home from work and they were at home.
The CPO's thinking was - that most burglars are chancers. If they can freely see you have valuable/saleable stuff - they will risk breaking in. Nets just stop them having a 'shop window', and it also stops them noticing when one is alone in the house. It is more precautionary rather than preventitive.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2013, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Neither for me. I used to have nets, but hated them, and have never liked blinds.

I don't draw my curtains in at night so anyone who wants to look in is very welcome as I have nothing to hide.
Just a thought, Mollie, but leaving your main curtains open at night is wasting your heating !
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2013, 07:26 AM

Yes Mollie, open curtains have their "Drawbacks".
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2013, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Yes Mollie, open curtains have their "Drawbacks".

Pull yourself together Paul1
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2013, 09:02 AM

It sounds like it is all down to choice, and location, location, location.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.

27-08-2013, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
We don't have either, if they can't see in we can't see out, we have nothing to hide.
Just want to add that we haven't had them, for the whole of our 54 years of marriage.
As for keeping the heat in, I have triple glazing.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top