Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2013, 02:46 AM

Hiding an ugly fence

Any suggestions on something attractive that will grow well in sandy soil, with a south-east exposure? We've got seeds for scarlet runner beans and morning glories so far. Thanks in advance.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2013, 05:49 AM

Re: Hiding an ugly fence

Passion Fruit or Kiwi Fruit vine (you need both sexes of the later) cover just about anything if you want something with a fruit.

If not then Jasmine grows like wild fire infact you need to contain it otherwise it will spread everywhere but the smell when it flowers is wonderful.

Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2013, 07:02 PM

Beautiful! I'll check whether those will do well in our zone. I love the idea of jasmine! Thanks.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2013, 07:16 PM

Two very good ideas Bruce.
I was thinking of passion fruit or grape vine.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

31-03-2013, 02:04 AM

Here's what it would take to care for jasmine in our part of the country:

Jasmine will overwinter in zones 5 and 6, dying back to the ground and growing new vines from the roots in spring. Flowering may be delayed or absent the year after a complete die back, so winter protection is important if reliable yearly blooming is required. This involves untangling the plant form its supports, lightly pruning it, then wrapping securely in plastic and covering with about two feet of mulch after laying it on the ground. Begin checking in late April or early May for signs of growth. After the last frost, unwrap the vine and gently tie it back to its growing supports. Jasmine x stephanense can also be grown in a large pot and moved to a cold but not freezing location for the winter, such as a sheltered porch or garage. Some vines are simply more vigorous than others, and will still bloom after extensive winter damage.

How much pruning does "lightly" mean? Any ideas?
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2013, 06:54 PM

I have a mile a minute growing over an arch, its quite vigorous.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2013, 08:18 PM

I was just thinking of Mile a Minute.. Great for a rapid cover up.. of the entire length of the garden if not watched!!!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2013, 12:58 AM

While I was out walking today I took some pics of some Jasmine growing (it is Autumn so no flowers) the first pic show how good a ground cover it is, you can see the tendrils trying to climb

The second pic is an area which was completely ripped out to put up a new fence in the middle of summer yet you can see how the Jasmine after only a couple of months has regenerated from nothing (just roots) and is already starting to climb and cover the fence in spite of very little rain. By the end of next summer the fence will be invisible.

Jasmine is a very rapid grower and just about any cutting will strike. in summer the perfume is everywhere.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

01-04-2013, 03:14 AM

I do like the idea of jasmine and I love the scent. The garden centres are just starting to open up here so I'll start looking this week.

I googled "Mile a Minute" and found some pics but I don't recognize the plant at all. Is it like an ivy?
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2013, 03:10 PM

I've always thought of mile a minute vine as a weed

Sue, hard pruning is about 2 foot from the ground but I think it stops it flowering for a year. (not sure tho')

The summer flowering Jasmine requires very little pruning except for thinning out crowded or unwanted shoots after flowering. I would feed Jasmine with sulphate of potash which will harden the shoots and encourage flowering.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top