Join for free
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2010, 02:22 PM

Keeping Gladioli, Begonias and Fuscias over Winter

How do people keep their gladioli, begonias and fuscias over winter. I have dried off the gladioli and begonias and want to store them for next year. The fuscias are in pots and I have cut them down. Currently they are all in the summerhouse.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2010, 03:55 PM

Re: Keeping Gladioli, Begonias and Fuscias over Winter

I`m going to dry the begonias off and put them in the shed. The glads can take their chances.
Non-hardy fuschias (and possibly geraniums) I`ll leave as long as possible then maybe put some cuttings on windowsills as I`ve no greenhouse.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2010, 09:15 PM

Glads won't overwinter here. I dig them when the foliage has died, lay them out in a warm spot on newspapers for about 3-4 days till they're thoroughly dry, then store for winter in mesh bags or old pantyhose in a cool place.

Although I normally have a green thumb, tuberous begonias HATE me, and aways die long before the storage problem arises. I suspect it would be similar.

Never tried the fuchsia cuttings; probably work. Carrying over the plants themselves wasn't successful; house too dry and not enough sun; they got very legggy and lost a lot of leaves.

Good luck!
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2010, 10:09 AM

fuschia and geranium cuttings are really easy - they`ll root in water or soil. Just cut a shoot from new growth (not hard wood) just below a leaf, strip the bottom leaves and put them in a pot of earth or glass of water. I do a few at a time in a pot then repot.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2010, 11:20 AM

Thank you DM and C&D. Since posting I have cleaned the gladies and begonias off and wrapped them in newspaper. They can stay in the summerhouse along with the fuscia plants which I have cut down (so there are no cuttings to take off). Hopefully, some of the stuff will be OK and if not I will have to chuck it out in the Spring and start again.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top