Join for free
Page 17 of 27 « First < 7 15 16 17 18 19 > Last »
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 03:27 PM

Re: Pies, pies and more pies

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Blue ... I think you're mixing me up with someone else. Yourself. I didn't delete posts nor profess to tell you what this one thinks or someone else is doing or alleged conspiracies.. that'd be in the PMs you sent me about other members would it?
But nevertheless ... time to draw a line under it.
You like it here. Get posting and enjoy the forum.
Move on.
Got it...I am moving on,

John leave
Hertfordshire
John leave is male  John leave has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 03:32 PM

Ingredients
Hairy Bikers’ Steak And Ale Pie - What You Need:
900g stewing steak, diced
25g flour, plus extra for dusting
100g butter
2 onions roughly chopped
2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
2 medium carrots, roughly chopped
150g button mushrooms
2 sprigs fresh thyme
400ml good-quality ale
500ml beef stock
Salt and pepper
1 egg, beaten for glazing
300g ready-made rolled puff pastry

Method
Preheat the oven to 220°C/428°F/Gas Mark 7.

Pour flour into a bowl and season well. Coat the meat with the seasoned flour.

Heat half the butter in a heated pan and add the meat. Sear all over until golden brown.

Add the vegetables, herbs, ale and stock. Bring to a simmer, then cover with a lid and gently simmer for 1 hr. When cooked, season, add the remaining butter and pour into an ovenproof serving dish.

Brush the edge of the dish with the beaten egg. Roll out the pastry using as little flour as possible and place over the dish. Pinch the edges of the dish so that the pastry will stick to it and trim off any remaining pieces of pastry from around the edge. Brush the pastry top thoroughly with the remaining beaten egg and place on a baking tray.

Bake in the oven for 20-30 mins until the pastry is golden brown on top.
This with mashed potato peas and carrots yum.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 03:37 PM

Hmm ... now that sounds nice and within my abilities.
John leave
Hertfordshire
John leave is male  John leave has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
I just think it's silly to argue about who's right and who's wrong. Because who cares? Different foods are called different things in different places all over the world. Nobody is right or wrong. Period.

I love Gordon Ramsay.

Yeah, but it's fun to watch him rip into people

Well, unless they don't really deserve it. And not all of them do. Of course, however, the only Gordon Ramsay show I watch is Kitchen Nightmares. I can't handle his cooking shows. That's too much, even for me.
Have you been watching his American 24 hour cleanups of bad restaurants, how are they even allowed to operate, over here we have inspectors that give out star rating so people know how clean a place is and the food is properly stored. In the USA they seem to be able to have kitchens that i wouldent feed my dog from.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 03:40 PM

Surely they must have Health Inspectors the same as over here?
John leave
Hertfordshire

21-08-2018, 03:41 PM

Have made it its great, got there book love there recipes.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 03:45 PM

Bakerman, have to confess I love making fruit pies. I also have to confess that I am absolute rubbish at making my own pastry (hands too warm) so only use frozen sweet shortcrust, which of course makes me a cheat by saying "I love making fruit pies". God, thank you to whoever it was that invented JusRol!!

Still, the finished product never screams "You didn't really make me" as I take that beautiful golden pie out of the oven and later serve it with whipped cream, ice-cream or custard (again, all shop bought!). HWMO certainly never complains. As far as he is concerned, it's home-made by his clever wife who is great at making fruit pies!.
John leave
Hertfordshire

21-08-2018, 03:56 PM

Today's Food Code, like the original 1934 document, is a voluntary set of regulations, not federal law. It's still up to individual states to write their own food safety rules, although most states align their regulations closely with the recommendations of the FDA.

To make things more complicated, restaurant inspections are often conducted by city or county officials, not state regulators. In those cases, it's the local health authorities who write and enforce their own food safety regulations. In Denver, for example, the city is actually older than the state, and it governs itself under the law of "home rule." Food safety regulations are written into Denver's municipal code, but they are updated every few years to closely follow state laws and federal guidelines.
This is all I could find.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 03:58 PM

I often wonder where the saying "As American as Apple Pie" originated from.

I know that the famous Bramley Apple was first grown here in England by a young girl called Mary Ann Brailsford between 1809-1813 when she sowed two apple pips and grew the very first Bramley Apple Tree.

So the Apple Pie is ours! LOL.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

21-08-2018, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by John leave ->
Today's Food Code, like the original 1934 document, is a voluntary set of regulations, not federal law. It's still up to individual states to write their own food safety rules, although most states align their regulations closely with the recommendations of the FDA.

To make things more complicated, restaurant inspections are often conducted by city or county officials, not state regulators. In those cases, it's the local health authorities who write and enforce their own food safety regulations. In Denver, for example, the city is actually older than the state, and it governs itself under the law of "home rule." Food safety regulations are written into Denver's municipal code, but they are updated every few years to closely follow state laws and federal guidelines.
This is all I could find.
Crumbs, I'm lost. It all sounds very confusing.

Page 17 of 27 « First < 7 15 16 17 18 19 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top