Join for free
Page 5 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2019, 10:07 PM

Re: Pensioner Soldier charged with Murder in Ireland.

Originally Posted by Meg ->
While I do not condone what happened on bloody Sunday, as the widow of an Army Officer who was first sent Northern Ireland in 1969 at the time Devlin riots to prevent the Catholics and Protestants from killing each other, I would like to remind people that there were terrible events carried out by all sides involved in the conflict .

We have since had the peace process and it is time previous events were laid to rest.
Agreed - all sides in the conflict apologised.

The Loyalists in 1994; the IRA in 2002; and the British (for Bloody Sunday) in 2010.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2019, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I just don't believe it! a British pensioner ex-soldier is to face charges of two murders of civil rights workers in Ireland over 47 years ago! Once again, a scapegoat is needed to placate the Irish families who gave evidence against 16 soldiers who state they were being shot at and acted in self-defence on Bloody Sunday. So it seems that they are an easy target being in their late 60's and early 70's.

This, while those b....d scum IRA bombers and killers, responsible for the slaughter, death and maiming of countless innocent men, women and children, are allowed to walk around free. Even the killer of Airey Neaves is running a bar in Majorca. all thanks to Tony Blair.

Who on earth would let their son join the Army to fight for their country when this is their thanks. Disgraceful!!! The Government and Prosecution Service should hang their heads in shame at such treatment. Such time has passed that when first interviewed, these pensioners took advice because they were so worried about prosecutions for something that happened nearly half a century ago. They were assured that no prosecutions would be forthcoming if they agreed to make a statement. Most of them did so,

Now one is being charged with murder on the evidence of relatives of those killed. This is just not right.
I completely agree.

I sincerely hope that this outrageous action comes back to bite those responsible.

It would please me enormously if every last one of our servicemen announced that they are not going to follow any more orders.

They couldn't possible punish them: there are far too many of them for that.

I'd love to see the faces of our politicians, judiciary and legal profession when there is suddenly no-one to protect them from anyone who wishes them harm.

I would also recommend to anyone thinking about joining up in our armed forces, not to bother.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2019, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I completely agree.

I sincerely hope that this outrageous action comes back to bite those responsible.

It would please me enormously if every last one of our servicemen announced that they are not going to follow any more orders.

They couldn't possible punish them: there are far too many of them for that.

I'd love to see the faces of our politicians, judiciary and legal profession when there is suddenly no-one to protect them from anyone who wishes them harm.

I would also recommend to anyone thinking about joining up in our armed forces, not to bother.
Thing is JB,

These idiots have no idea of what it's like to be in a combat situation.
Have they had bullets miss them by inches, seen a mate shot or blown up next to them?
They are clueless pen pushers wanting to make a buck, or take the moral high ground on something they have never experienced. They are vile human beings of the lowest order, none of whom would have the balls to walk in these soldiers shoes for a split second.

In such situations, you may have simply a split second to make a judgement that may prevent either your own death or that of your colleagues. You don't have time to contemplate if you will be prosecuted for your actions at a later date.

I have nothing but respect for our fighting forces and likewise, despise those who berate them.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2019, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Respect Meg.
Thank you Rehab many people who comment on 'the troubles' have very little knowledge of what actually happened.
They are unaware that British Army went in originally to prevent civil war and were welcomed by both catholics and protestants. Events escalated and so often happens in these situations terrible and events took place that are best forgotten.

We now have a new generation in Ireland, North and South who were born after 'the troubles' the last thing they need is people stirring them up with tales of years gone by and abandoned causes.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2019, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Thank you Rehab many people who comment on 'the troubles' have very little knowledge of what actually happened.
They are unaware that British Army went in originally to prevent civil war and were welcomed by both catholics and protestants. Events escalated and so often happens in these situations terrible and events took place that are best forgotten.

We now have a new generation in Ireland, North and South who were born after 'the troubles' the last thing they need is people stirring them up with tales of years gone by and abandoned causes.
I agree, of course, but I really hope that this prosecution of the poor man is dropped.

As I said earlier, I have signed the petition (not that our glorious leaders would take a blind bit of notice of the general population, of course) and I encourage others to do the same.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2019, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree, of course, but I really hope that this prosecution of the poor man is dropped.

As I said earlier, I have signed the petition (not that our glorious leaders would take a blind bit of notice of the general population, of course) and I encourage others to do the same.
So do I JBR
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2019, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Thing is JB,

These idiots have no idea of what it's like to be in a combat situation.
Have they had bullets miss them by inches, seen a mate shot or blown up next to them?
They are clueless pen pushers wanting to make a buck, or take the moral high ground on something they have never experienced. They are vile human beings of the lowest order, none of whom would have the balls to walk in these soldiers shoes for a split second.

In such situations, you may have simply a split second to make a judgement that may prevent either your own death or that of your colleagues. You don't have time to contemplate if you will be prosecuted for your actions at a later date.

I have nothing but respect for our fighting forces and likewise, despise those who berate them.
Hi

I could not agree more fender.

Corbyn and Abbott are wanting to bring ISIS back here.

I cannot speak for the Military or Police.

There will however be a mass exodus of Enforcement Officers if Corbyn gets into power.#

It is simply not worth the hassle.

It is a sad reflection on our Society that the rights of those who seek to kill us take precedent over those who seek to kill us.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2019, 09:07 AM

I signed the petition .

Meanwhile Hitchens take

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...f-IRA-won.html
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2019, 09:49 AM

I lost my cousin David over there and I know what he would say. The whole thing was and is tragic and poking old embers will do no one any good. Move on.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

17-03-2019, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I signed the petition .

Meanwhile Hitchens take

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...f-IRA-won.html
PETER HITCHENS: The trial of 'Soldier F' is the final proof that the IRA won
Not a good article by Hitchens and the kind of thing that perpetuates ill feeling and opens old wounds.
There were no 'winners' from the troubles just many losers on both sides like myself and my son who had to grow up without a Father .

Page 5 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top