Join for free
Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
uk sandra
Gateshead UK
uk sandra is female 

23-01-2011, 12:31 PM

Re: Growing your own Veggies?

There are 67 people on my allotment waiting list. Half of them will be dead before they get one. Some of them have been in the same family for 70 years. I grow apples, pears, plums,blackcurrants, blueberries, strawberries, rhubarb, salad veg, cabbage,sprouts, pots, onions, chard, peas, beans, toms, peppers, cucumber and lots of herbs. I also have 12 hens and 7 ducks who eat all of the leftovers and are such fun I spend far too long sitting watching them.
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2011, 07:52 PM

I have an allotment. This will be my second full year. I am currently building raised beds made from scaffolding planks. It hasn't been allotment friendly weather just lately. I have grown onions, tomatoes, potatoes ( just eaten the last of my spuds from last season), artichokes, courgettes, pumpkins and other squashes, lettuce, radishes and my favourite - runner beans. This year I will be trying to grow Jerusalem artichokes.

edit - I waited three days for mine
uk sandra
Gateshead UK
uk sandra is female 

25-01-2011, 10:26 PM

Make sure you plant your Jerusalem artichokes at the back. Mine grew to 8 foot tall and I had 5 rows of them. It was like a jungle. I expected snipers popping out with poison darts.
Welsh Dragon
Monmouthshire
Welsh Dragon is female  Welsh Dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2011, 07:07 PM

Grow beetroot this year. It is supposed to be the next health food, and good for the brain and memory.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2011, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Welsh Dragon ->
Grow beetroot this year. It is supposed to be the next health food, and good for the brain and memory.

Dont panic when you go to the toilet after eating them
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2011, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Dont panic when you go to the toilet after eating them
Oh, don't remind me, I had the fright of my life for a couple of seconds just last week, I love beetroot and had three whole ones for lunch.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2011, 07:58 PM

I've planted broad bean seeds today in the greenhouse and I've got seed potatoes chitting upstairs on a window sill. Yes I know it's still freezing out there, but I just can`t help myself. Anyone else bitten the vegetable bullet yet?
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2011, 08:06 PM

Planted my first earlies today

Will plant peas this weekend.

Have started tomatoes,onions,lettece and sprouts on the window sill.
Babooshka
New Member!
Wednesfield, UK
Babooshka is female 

22-03-2011, 08:33 AM

Have a lotty which is still giving gyp due to the fact the previous owner had a 'no dig' policy so the soil if full of weed seeds that keep on coming back! This is our 2nd year. Looks like it wil be down tome to do the toil as husband not able to any more. Planning this year's crops and also looking at completely covering 50% with fruit trees and bushes.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2011, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Babooshka ->
Have a lotty which is still giving gyp due to the fact the previous owner had a 'no dig' policy so the soil if full of weed seeds that keep on coming back! This is our 2nd year. Looks like it wil be down tome to do the toil as husband not able to any more. Planning this year's crops and also looking at completely covering 50% with fruit trees and bushes.
It's tough taking over a poorly kept allotment Babooshka, good luck with it and keep us informed of how you get on. I am lucky that I have a good sized back garden and have used around 100 square yards for veg and fruit. Over the years I've put in raised beds with gravel paths around, installed a greenhouse and improved my sandy soil to give it more body and good fertility.

Here's the veg garden..

And here's my fruit garden

The garden gives great pleasure now that all the back breaking has been done and I can manage to weed pretty much with just the hoe. What is your soil type and what veg are you planning this year?

Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top