Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 07:38 PM

Baby Boomers Should Take Less

According to the Right Rev. Richard Chartres baby boomers should take less:-

"Baby boomers are a special “fortunate generation” who have enjoyed dramatic improvements in living standards but are now “absorbing” more than their fair share of taxpayers’ money, one the most senior clerics in the Church of England has suggested".

See link below for an explanation why.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/reli...y-boomers.html

What do forum members think ? - opinions please.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 07:44 PM

Re: Baby Boomers Should Take Less

He should bloody talk!!! - As Bishop of London no doubt he's paid handsomely by the church for what he does (which as Bishop with the power to delegate is probably precious little). As a Bishop he sits in the House of Lords and therefore has the right to draw his attendance fee of £300 PER DAY!!!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 07:50 PM

Absolutely. What they paid in has long been spent and would not cover the cost of care. People weren't planing on living such long lives so it wasn't expected. We're all in it together......No other generation had all the privileges: free education, apprenticeships, job security, pension funds etc. cheap mortgages, cheap properties that have risen so much in value etc. Their children will inherit all this too. I know lots of people worked their socks off but some never got the chance to build up a nest egg. Which I might add some those that did are not willing to use to pay for their "rainy day" with. Means testing is the only fair way. It's not picking on the hard working folk, it's making sure everyone gets good care and help.
Please don't think I'm being offensive it's not meant to be.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
Absolutely. What they paid in has long been spent and would not cover the cost of care. People weren't planing on living such long lives so it wasn't expected. We're all in it together......No other generation had all the privileges: free education, apprenticeships, job security, pension funds etc. cheap mortgages, cheap properties that have risen so much in value etc. Their children will inherit all this too. I know lots of people worked their socks off but some never got the chance to build up a nest egg. Which I might add some those that did are not willing to use to pay for their "rainy day" with. Means testing is the only fair way. It's not picking on the hard working folk, it's making sure everyone gets good care and help.
Please don't think I'm being offensive it's not meant to be.

No Twiz darlin' - not you but Richard Chartres needs to have his Bishop's crook rammed somewhere very painful - stupid doddery old sod that he is!!!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 09:04 PM

Thanks Joe! Don't want a crook anywhere nasty! I just like things to be fair! I was sitting on the bus to the hospital a few weeks ago, there was two women in their dotage behind me with free buss passes, they were comparing the cruises, they'd been on and were going on, my middle daughter is working two jobs, her husband works all the hours God made, my youngest has to stay on in education because if she leaves there's nothing and I can't support her. I have older sisters who have everything and are still getting fuel allowances, I came along later and have had to struggle. I get to listen to people saying, we'll spend all our money so we don't have to pay for our care! Is it any wonder people are resentful?
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 11:25 PM

I believe he earns £55000 as Bishop of London as well.
So much for Christian charity.

WE take too much!
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2013, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by warleyron ->
I believe he earns £55000 as Bishop of London as well.
So much for Christian charity.

WE take too much!
That's the last time I put any money on the tray!
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2013, 07:27 AM

What does he think of all the mums ( and deadbeat Dads) who never have and probably will never contribute apart from having children the rest of the community not only supports but provides with a luxury lifestyle ( same in Oz and we still pay tax thru' GST )

SHE sits surrounded by top-of-the-range flat-screen tellies, laptop computers, games consoles and two high-tech gaming chairs.
But single mum Pam Bainbridge hasn’t earned a penny to pay for her luxury life — the bill has been footed by TAXPAYERS.
Mother-of-three Pam, 33, hasn’t worked for 13 years and is proud she has managed to save from her benefits to pay for new bikes, a £1,600 Golf car and Sky TV throughout the house.

Hard-working mum ... Pam with her
three kids Scott, Chloe and Jack
Sitting on her three-piece leather sofa with her chihuahua pooch Milo dressed in designer dog clothes, she says: “Everything I own is thanks to the money I have earned in benefits and I am not ashamed to admit that.
“I realise there will be people reading this who feel furious that I haven’t got a job but I am not ashamed.
“I work really hard as a full-time mum and consider my benefits to be my wages.

Luxuries ... what Pam has bought with her benefits
“When you have three kids to look after, you cannot clock off at 5pm every day.
“I don’t have the option to come home from work and put my feet up — my whole life is a job. In fact, I bet that people on £50,000 a year don’t work anywhere near as hard as me.”
Although Pam feels her life is tough, she in no way regrets having children Scott, 13, Chloe, ten and seven-year-old Jack by two different men.
She says: “If people stopped having kids, then the world wouldn’t continue. We all have a responsibility to have children.
“All my kids are well behaved and never cause problems. They have everything they need in life and I try to make sure they never go without.”
Every week, Pam’s rent and council tax for her three-bedroom semi in Carlisle are paid for by the state.

Treats ... laptops
She then gets £35 in income support, £137 child tax credits and £45 child benefit, and recently started receiving £35 in child support. Her children get free school dinners and each term she pockets £85 to pay for school uniforms.
Pam also gets free prescriptions and glasses if the kids need them. Excluding her rent and council tax, her benefits total £252 a week.
She says: “I am very good with money and have been able to save for the things that I want in life.
“For Christmas, I managed to save £1,000, which I am really proud about. With that, I was able to buy my kids top-of-the-range trainers, games consoles and new bikes.
“It felt good to be able to save money and I am proud of myself for spending my benefits wisely.”
Twice a year Pam must attend a meeting with the Benefits Agency, who try to convince her she would be £50 a week better off if she got a full-time job on the minimum wage.
Luckily
She says: “I tell them they are talking rubbish. If I was working I would have to pay rent and council tax and would never get to see my kids. I don’t have a husband to bring home the money and I really want to be a stay-at-home mum.
“Luckily, the Government allows me to do that.”

Designer togs ... for the dog
Pam, who last worked when she was 20, adds: “I never liked school and I avoided it whenever I could. I used to sneak home when my mum was at work. All I dreamed of was being a wife and mother.
“Even when I saw the careers counsellor at school, I told her all I wanted in my future was to be a mum. She was absolutely horrified.”
Pam left school at 15 to do seasonal work in hotels. After three years she went to college to study nursery care. But a year into the course she fell pregnant with Scott.
That is when she started receiving benefits. She says: “I was thrilled to be a mum and happy to apply for benefits so I could stay with my baby.
“My own mother worked very hard as an admin assistant and, although I love her dearly, I never felt I saw that much of her as a child.
“Benefits have given me the chance to stay with my kids and see them grow up.”
After separating from Scott’s dad after little more than a year with him, Pam had Chloe and Jack by another man but they split after five years.
She now gets £148 a month in maintenance from Scott’s dad but nothing from Chloe and Jack’s father.
mpu
She says: “Each time I had another child I received more money from the state. It felt great to be in charge of my life and my own money — it’s like a warm security blanket.
“I have peace of mind that, no matter if I am sick, I will still get my money.”
And she insists: “No one can call me a benefit skank or scrounger because I am very careful with the money. I make sure there is enough to pay my direct debits, which total around £470 a month.
That goes on gas, electricity, water, the TV licence, Sky, BT Vision, credit card, house and life insurance, BT phone and internet, catalogue payments and my mobile contract.”
Criticism

“I probably will have to return to work when my kids grow up as my benefits will be cut. But I am a single parent and it is my view that we should not have to work. In my opinion, single parents aren’t secure employees.”
Pam’s views will horrify taxpayers. But she says: “People constantly think they can have a go at me because I am on benefits, but I refuse to be ashamed of my lifestyle.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...#ixzz2WGNrTQnP
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2013, 11:29 AM

Spot on maggis.

I can't read the link because I'd start steaming from my ears!

Following the death of my husband, I have to live on £123pw to run a house and all that that entails - chances of a job appear to be minimal and I think being over 50 should now be classed as a disability if employers won't employ anyone over that age. What do they expect us to do?

I really believe that some people won't be happy until all baby boomers, who are not gainfully employed or financially independent, are euthanised!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2013, 02:23 PM

I think that what this silly cleric is forgetting is that there are such a lot of people who have reached or are reaching retirement and if you look at it "per head" then I doubt they are taking more than their share as individuals. He is seeing a group of people rather than individuals. He is also not thinking that these people born after the war were industrious and worked hard. They contributed a lot in all sorts of ways. Many were the first generation to actually have mortgages to buy their own homes which meant thinking longer term to provide their own security. When growing up after the war times were very austere and many did not have all the things that the young expect to have handed to them these days. The NHS for instance was not founded until 1948 and I was born without this advantage. Many baby boomers have paid their taxes all their working lives - and they have worked undeniably hard. Any extra pensions they may have earned have been saved for and paid for out of their own efforts and I don't think the majority are living a life of luxury at all. More than a few are now helping to bring up grandchildren by providing childcare as well as financial resources - there is a silent army of people like this who are still working hard and doing more than their share as unpaid providers and carers.
I think this nitwit is living in an ivory tower of arrogance and privilege. He really has no idea of how people live.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top