Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2015, 01:24 AM

Mad Scientist

As a boy I had this inner urge to become a mad scientist. At first, I did not have the right tools to become one, so in my room I would invent different kinds of experiments. What I did was not really scientific. Mostly what I created were like small booby traps where one action triggered another to create a final result. My mother did not like this mad scientist phase of mine, because I really didn't create anything , just made my room a real mess.

One day I was in the livingroom watching Saturday cartoons when this commercial comes on talking about a chemistry set for kids. The mad scientist in me went nuts. I bugged my parents till they finally bought it for me. Thus, I set up shop in the corner of the garage and started to mix the magical potions. In the end, the results were not at all spectacular, a bit boring to tell you the truth. Eventually the potions were used up, some test tubes broke and eventually the chemistry set ended up in the trash.

So, time passed and I got involved in other projects. Let me tell you though, that the mad scientist lingered within the dark, shadowy, mysterious areas of my brain. Till finally as an adult I was able to set up a real laboratory of my own to satisfy my madness.

To what purpose was this laboratory set up by me ? To find the truth of the universe ? Or how about, finding a secret potion that could save the world. My search is more inclined towards a more selfish matter. It allows me to answer questions about who I am and where I am going. Mad scientist like me accomplish this experiment by alchemically transforming lead into gold. A madness that always resided as a boy in my soul.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2015, 06:10 AM

Re: Mad Scientist

Isaac Newton was an alchemist seeking to turn base metals into gold......and look where it got him ! Keep trying Painter, one day you might become famous.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2015, 07:37 AM

My chemical set brought two results, the ability to shoot a cork across a room, and copper plating everything not nailed down. Just as well i only discovered Dr Strangelove long after it had gone.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2015, 08:24 AM

A mate of mine went to Uni to become a scientist, I told him straight, "you must be Mad".
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2015, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Isaac Newton was an alchemist seeking to turn base metals into gold......and look where it got him ! Keep trying Painter, one day you might become famous.
Its not about becoming famous I just like experimenting. I need to be careful that I don"t turn into a Dr Jekyl and a Mr Hyde
eyes_of_a_painter
n

08-12-2015, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
My chemical set brought two results, the ability to shoot a cork across a room, and copper plating everything not nailed down. Just as well i only discovered Dr Strangelove long after it had gone.

Dr Strangelove, thats interesting. For whatever reason, the movie Goldfinger with James Bond comes to mind.
eyes_of_a_painter
n

08-12-2015, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
A mate of mine went to Uni to become a scientist, I told him straight, "you must be Mad".
Your friend must have had an inquisitive mind. He was far from being mad.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2015, 10:54 AM

On the whole I am very grateful for what I learned at my Grammar School. But I do have one niggle about experiments. We did them, of course. Because I was basically clumsy I continually got poor marks for my attempts.

Nobody ever told me why we were doing them. I was quite ready to believe the things that were being demonstrated. The whole point, as I now understand, is that scientific laws are only laws because they are repeatable and not because the textbook says they are.

This was in total contrast to the concept of received wisdom. In days gone by it was enough to say that when Aristotle (say) told us that something then it was so. Bertrand Russell neatly summarised the difference by pointing out that Aristotle had said the women have fewer teeth then men. He need only have asked Mrs Aristotle to open her mouth.
eyes_of_a_painter
n

08-12-2015, 11:03 AM

The experiments I remember performing in school were pretty simple. We watched a seed grow into a plant and chick come out of an egg. While the other students fell asleep, I saw beyond the experiment. In the fact, that out of a tiny seed a tree or a plant could grow into a beautiful splendour and of course, the hatching of a chicken from an egg, began to sprout questions within my soul the secrets of life and the universe itself.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2015, 11:49 AM

Yes Painter, the world/universe is truly a wondrous place and man's/ women's achievements are also wondrous- well, some of them.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top